Mmm... Mass Effect. Finally a good sci-fi RPG for the Xbox 360! This page contains note from my playthrough of Mass Effect. Possible spoiler alert!
I've played through the game once, and I'm currently on my
second third character ( John Diana Shepard).
Completionist badge on Feros. At that point, I hade done quite a few side quest, but had only completed one collection mission.
Profile: Earther/War Hero/Engineer/Paragon
Status: Finished game on Hardcore in 21:04. This included some sidequests to get the Paragon badge.
I rerolled this character as Engineer. The edning cinematics was a bit different than my initial Renegade playthrough. Nice, but such a shame about the council...
Total time was about 24.5 hours. I skipped many of the side quests since I got hooked on the main story. Final level was 40 as a Soldier with Shock Trooper specialization. Maxing out Shock Trooper skill may have been overkill since this made Jane near invulnerable in heavy armor. It certainly helped me get the Tactician achievement. (Note: Hardening would probably make shields last longer.)
Character appearance was good, but skin looked too pale in some lights. Go with default skin color next time.
I played Jane as ruthlessly as the description implied. She is certainly not a xenophobe. Indeed, she believes that humanity must learn to coexist peacefully with the other sentient races. This required some hard choices and ultimately resulted in the xenocide of two races that were simply too alien to understand. In the end, she decided to risk human lives to save the Council.
I bough Charm and Intimidation as high as the game would let me. This gave me access to more dialog option. Intimidation was very useful.
I will probably run the campaign with Jane again. Starting as a high level character with good gear is perfectly reasonable for a Spectre candidate. On the other hand, I may reroll this profile once I have an appearance I really like.
I can't wait to play through the game again and explore the game plot and universe. Replay seem a much more attractive proposition than in KotOR.
- Extreme Power Gamer - Reach 60th level with one character - 50G
- Infiltraror was great fun! 8 ranks in Decryption and Electronics enabled me to open all containers, so money was never a problem.
- Chem rounds (Pollonium VII later in the game) remained a favorite.
- With proper achievements and skill ranks (Pistol 12 for Master Marksman), Marksman had virtually no downtime. Extremely accurate rapid fire at close to mid range is very nice!
- Hacking was not very useful. Go for Medicine or possibly Throw for next Infiltrator.
Hmm... Since I have the Soldier and Krogan Ally achievements, I might try an all-biotic squad. This would Marcus Shepard, Kaidan Alenko (also Tech) and Liara. With biotic crowd control (Stasis and Singularity should be very useful) I should be able to get by with only pistols. I have the Medal of Valor, so I do not have to play on Instanity.
- Lift Mastery - Use biotic Lift 75 times - 15G
- Throw Mastery - Use biotic Throw 75 times - 15G
- Warp Mastery - Use biotic Warp 75 times - 15G
- Singularity Mastery - Use biotic Singularity 75 times - 15G
- Barrier Mastery - Use biotic Barrier 75 times - 15G
- Stasis Mastery - Use biotic Stasis 75 times - 15G
- Sentinel Ally - Complete the majority of the game with the Alliance sentinel squad member - 20G
- Turian Ally - Complete the majority of the game with the Turian squad member - 20G
- Quarian Ally - Complete the majority of the game with the Quarian squad member - 20G
- Asari Ally - Complete the majority of the game with the asari squad member - 20G
Power Gamer- Reach 50th level with one character - 20G
Medal of Valor- Complete 1 Mass Effect playthrough on the Insanity difficulty setting. Do not change the setting. - 50G
Completionist- Complete the majority of the game - 25G
Soldier Ally- Complete the majority of the game with the Alliance soldier squad member - 20G
Krogan Ally- Complete the majority of the game with the Krogan squad member - 20G
Scholar- Find all primary Alien: Council Races, Extinct Races and Non-Council Races codex entries - 25G
Rich- Exceed 1,000,000 Credits - 25G
Sniper Expert- Register 150 Sniper Rifle Kills - 15G
Medal of Honor- Complete 1 Mass Effect Playthrough on any setting - 100G
Medal of Heroism- Complete Feros - 25G
Distinguished Service Medal- Complete Eden Prime - 25G
Council Legion of Merit- Complete Virmire - 25G
Honorarium of Corporate Service- Complete Noveria - 25G
Long Service Medal- Complete 2 Mass Effect Playthroughs on any setting - 25G
Distinguished Combat Medal- Complete 1 Mass Effect playthrough on the Hardcore difficulty setting. Do not change the setting. - 25G
Pistol Expert- Register 150 Pistol Kills - 10G
Shotgun Expert- Register 150 Shotgun Kills - 15G
Assault Rifle Expert- Register 150 Assault Rifle Kills - 15G
Damping Specialist- Use Damping Field 75 times - 15G
AI Hacking Specialist- Use AI Hacking 75 times - 15G
Overload Specialist- Use Shield Overload 75 times - 15G
Sabotage Specialist- Use Sabotage 75 times - 15G
First Aid Specialist- Use medi-gel 150 times - 15G
Neural Shock Specialist- Use Neural Shock 75 times - 15G
Tactician- Complete playthrough with shield damage greater than health damage - 25G
Medal of Exploration- Land on an uncharted world - 50G
Dog of War- Register 150 organic enemy kills - 25G
Geth Hunter- Register 250 Synthetic enemy kills - 25G
Renegade- Accumulate 75% of total Renegade points - 15G
Paragon- Accumulate 75% of total Paragon points - 15G
Paramour- Complete any romance subplot - 10G
Spectre Inductee- Become a Spectre - 15G
Charismatic- Use Charm or Intimidate to resolve an impossible situation - 10G
Search and Rescue- Locate Dr. T’Soni in the Artemis Tau cluster - 10G
Things to test
- What is required to "complete the majority of the game"? I suppose I will have to test that, but not on Insane difficulty!
- Hmm... I wonder if I really need Wrex... I can pick him up if passed on him when investigating Fiske.
- I used Charm and Intimidate to convince Saren to try to resist Sovereign in the final confrontation. In the end, he killed himself. I wonder what else can happen in this scene... (No, I'm not going to rerun that save.)
- I do like shooting stuff, so Infiltrator (Combat/Tech) or Vanguard (Combat/Biotic) seems like a good choice.
- What is a goos extra skill for Soldier? Perhaps Electronics for extra shields, or Hacking for AI rampage?
- There is no way to take screenhosts in game. That is a real shame!
- I wish NPC party members could carry less guns. 4 guns on a character that can only use pistols looks a bit odd.
- NPC:s use standard armor in some cutscenes while Shepard uses actual armor.