Sylvie (D&D creature)
|Unofficial rules compendium|
|Hit Dice:||1d8 (3 hp)|
|Speed:||20 ft. (4 squares), fly 60 ft. (12 squares) (perfect)|
|Armor Class:||17 (+5 Dex, +2 Size), touch 17, flat-footed 12|
|Attack:||Rapier +5 melee (1d3-4) or dagger +5 melee (1d2-3)|
|Space/Reach:||2.5 ft./0 ft.|
|Special Attacks:||Spell-like abilities, invisibility|
|Saves:||Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +1|
|Abilities:||Str 2, Dex 21, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 15|
|Skills:||Concentration +4, Craft (gardening) +3, Escape artist +9, Handle animal +4, Heal +4, Hide +13, Knowledge (nature) +3, Listen +3, Move Silently +9, Perform (Dance) +6, Search +4, Spot +8.|
|Feats:||Dodge, Improved Initiative, Weapon Finesse|
|Environment:||Any above ground, usually wilderness|
|Organization:||Gang (2-4), band (6-11), or tribe (20-80)|
The creature is small enough to land in your palm and has long, pointed ears, long thin limbs and heroic proportions. On its back are gossamer wings.
Sprites, and smaller cousins to pixies, sylvies are less concerned with pranks and more with simply enjoying fun and beauty. Intensely curious when not overtaken by shyness, they sometimes get attached to larger folk and follow them around, often adopting traits similar to their companion. They are not industrious and can sit for days gazing at something if not disturbed.
Sylvies prosper in any place of great natural beauty or that satisfies their curiosity. A few sylvies even live in cities, usually as invisible observers. In areas dominated by evil they sometimes maintain small and isolated havens of natural beauty.
A sylvie stands about seven inches tall and weight about 3 ounces.
Sylvies prefer to remain out of sight of combat and only fight if their chosen glade or nest is threathened. Even then, their reaction might be to run to larger allies for help. When forced to fight, sylvies hang back invisibly and harry foes with spells. Their rapiers are mainly for posturing and honor-duels among themselves.
Greater Invisibility (Su)
A sylvie remains invisible even when it attacks. This ability is constant, but the sylvie can suppress or resume it as a free action.
A sylvie can use the following spell-like abilities at will: dancing lights, detect chaos, detect good, detect evil, detect law, faerie fire, and magic missile. A sylvie can use detect thoughts (DC 12 + Cha bonus), glitterdust (DC 12 + Cha bonus), and dispel magic, once per day each. It uses all spell-like abilities as a level 4 sorcerer.
Sylvies as Characters
Sylvie adventurers are motivated by curiosity and fun. They tend to take adventures less than seriously and seek unusual solutions to problems. They are good choices for players who like to play happy-go-lucky characters and want some magic to carry out their plans.
- Starting Ability Score Adjustments: 8 Str, +6 Dex, +2 Cha. Sylvies are physically weak but make up for it in other areas. A fully-developed sylvie has -8 Strength, +10 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, +4 Wisdom, +4 Charisma.
- Tiny: As Tiny creatures, sylvies gain a +2 size bonus to Armor Class, a +2 size bonus on attack rolls, -8 penalty on grapple checks, and a +8 size bonus on Hide checks, but they must use smaller weapons than Medium-size creatures do, and their lifting and carrying limits are half of those of Medium-size characters. Gear scaled to sylvies weight 1/10 of normal and have half the normal cost.
- Speed: Sylvie land speed is 20 feet.
- Low-Light Vision: Sylvies can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. They retain the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Skills: +2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks. Sylvies can use their Dexterity bonus instead of their Strength bonus on Climb, Jump and Swim checks.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Sylvan. Bonus Languages: Elven, Gnome, Halfling.
- Favored Class: Sorcerer. The best multiclassing choices for a sylvie are cleric, rogue and wizard.
The sylvie's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Escape artist (Dex), Handle animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Spot (Wis).
Skill Points at First Level: (6 + Int modifier) x4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier.
All of the following are class features of the sylvie monster class.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Sylvies are proficient with all simple weapons and with the rapier, but not with armor or shields.
All of the following are features of the sylvie race.
Feats: A sylvie receives Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat at 1st level and Dodge at 2nd level. At each class level it gains feats normally according to its hit dice.
Adaptible (Su): A sylvie can live in varying environments wearing virtually nothing due to its constant endure elements effect.
Lesser Sylvie Powers (Sp): A sylvie can use the following spell-like abilities once per day per level: dancing lights, detect chaos, detect good, detect evil, detect law, faerie fire, magic missile, and invisibility (self only). Its caster level for all spell-like abilities is equal to its class level. At level 4, the sylvie can use these powers at will.
Sylvie Powers (Sp): Beginning at 3rd level, a sylvie can use detect thoughts (DC 12 + Cha bonus), glitterdust (DC 12 + Cha bonus), and dispel magic, once per day each.
Natural Invisibility (Su): At 4th level, a sylvie is naturally invisible and remains invisible even when it attacks. This ability is constant, but the sylvie can suppress or resume it as a free action.
Table: Sylvie by HD
|Level||Hit Dice||Base Attack Bonus||Fort Save||Ref Save||Will Save||Skill Points||Special|
|1st||1||+0||+0||+2||+2||x4||8 Str, +6 Dex, +2 Cha||Adaptible, lesser sylvie powers 1/day/level, Weapon finesse|
|2nd||+2 Dex, +2 Wis||Dodge, fly 20 ft. (good),|
|3rd||+2 Int, +2 Cha||Sylvie powers 1/day, fly 40 ft. (good)|
|4th||+2 Dex, +2 Wis||Lesser sylvie powers at will, natural invisibility, fly 60 ft. (good)|