Shadow of the Demon Lord
|Shadow of the Demon Lord|
This page is about Shadow of the Demon Lord, a dark fantasy horror RPG.
Shadow of the Demon Lord is a distillation of everything I crave from fantasy games, presented in a tight and tidy package. It gives you the tools to tell horror stories set in fantasy worlds teetering on the edge of annihilation. It reveals horrible, terrifying things creeping under the cover of night. It presents magic that is both weird and powerful. And it gives you the tools to create flawed protagonists who might just have a chance to make a difference in the world before it’s too late.´
—Robert J. Schwalb, preface to Shadow of the Demon Lord core book
Plans for local games include a one-off to get a feel for the system, followed by Tales of the Demon Lord, perhaps with some scenarios swapped out. Campaigns are short in Shadow of the Demon Lord since you level after each adventure.
A rules packet will be made available to players. In the meantime, check out this handy cheat sheet for an overview of gameplay.
Random attribute score generation is not used.
The ancestries below are available. See the listed books in the Victims of the Demon Lord series for additional information. Reading these is optional.
- Changeling - Stolen Lives
- Clockwork - Ghosts in Machines
- Dwarf - For Gold and Glory
- Goblin - Snot and Stitches
- Halfling - Uncommon Courage
- Human - Only Human
- Orc - Born to Kill
Depending on the campaign, additional ancestries may be available.
- Shadow of the Demon Lord official home page
- Shadow of the Demon Lord on Wikipedia
- Handy cheat sheet
- Beginner's guide to Shadow of the Demon Lord
- Game Geeks #261 video about Shadow of the Demon Lord
- There is a level cap of 10 and characters start at level 0, so a campaign will be a dozen sessions or so at most.
- Such as satyr and halflings in the core setting, or undines and salamanders in Freeport.