Rules (Skull & Shackles)
This is a list of rules for the Skull & Shackles campaign.
A Pirate's Fate
When a character would ordinarily die, they can choose to suffer a random lasting injury (as described in the Shackles Player's Guide). Each such scar gives a +1 bonus on Intimidate checks, and Intimidate never suffers any penalties that otherwise apply to Charisma-based skills.
|d20||Battle Scar or Amputation||Game effect|
|1–5||Minor scar||Interesting but otherwise cosmetic|
|6–8||Moderate scar||Cut on face, +1 bonus on Charisma-based skill checks for first scar only, subsequent cuts count as a major scar.|
|9–10||Major scar||Severe cut on face, -1 penalty on Charisma-based skill checks|
|11–14||Loss of finger||For every 3 fingers lost, –1 Dex|
|15–16||Impressive wound||-1 Con|
|17||Loss of eye||-4 penalty on all sight-based Perception checks|
|18||Loss of leg||Speed reduced to half, cannot charge|
|19||Loss of hand||Cannot use two-handed items. Losing a single hand or arm does not affect a spellcaster’s ability to cast spells with somatic components.|
|20||Loss of arm||-1 Str, cannot use two-handed items. Losing a single hand or arm does not affect a spellcaster’s ability to cast spells with somatic components.|
Player characters are created on build points, starting with 20 points, an additional feat, 2 extra skill points per level, and 0-4 background traits, as specified below.
NPCs are created 15 on build points and get 2 extra skill points per level.
No evil characters. Lawful characters are allowed, but discouraged. Neutral Good, Chaotic good, Neutral, and Chaotic Neutral characters get 1 extra trait.
- Patrons - The following gods make good patrons for pirates
- Besmara - CN Common god of piracy - Chaos (Protean), Trickery (Thievery), War (Tactics), Water (Oceans), Weather (Storms). Weapon: Cutlass.
- Kord - CG Suel/Common god of challenges, strength and bravery - Chaos, Good, Liberation, Luck, Strength. Weapon: Greatsword.
- Norebo - CN Suel god of luck and gambling - Animal (Fur), Chaos, Charm (Lust), Luck, Trickery. Weapon: Dagger.
- Procan - CN Oerdian god of storms and oceans - Animal (Fur), Destruction (Catastrophe), Travel (Exploration), Water (Oceans), Weather (Storms). Weapon: Trident.
- Trithereon - CG Oerdian god of freedom - Chaos (Azata), Good (Azata), Liberation, Protection (Defense), Strength. Weapons: Shortspear, longsword, and greatclub.
Class & Race
- Recommended Races: Human (Common, Suel, and Tuov).
Members of these races get an additional trait at character creation. Note that these human sub-races have racial traits. Also note that the campaign takes place in the Common language region, so Common humans gain an additional trait as compensation for getting no native language.
- Recommended Classes: Alchemist, Bard, Fighter, Oracle, Ranger, Rogue, Summoner, Sorcerer, Wizard.
Members of these classes get an additional trait at character creation.
- Discouraged Classes: Cavalier (except new archetypes from here), Monk, Inquisitor, Paladin.
- Class Options besides those in official Pathfinder
Characters get 0-4 traits from a combination of alignment, race, and class. As opposed to the normal rules, a character can take more than one trait from each category.
Number of traits
Map Guide to Traits
Human Race Traits
Other Race Traits