Battle Herald (Apath)
|Unofficial rules compendium|
In every army there are leaders who surpass the average cold-hearted mercenary, battle-scarred veteran, or wizened drill instructor, not so much in their skill at arms but in their ability to inspire and lead others. Battle heralds are just such captains—skilled warriors to be sure, but ones who have honed the art of leadership to a keen edge and keep it as ready as their sword as a means to victory. Battle heralds tap into reservoirs of courage, skill, bravery, and perseverance that those who serve with them never knew they had, and their allies often find themselves ascending the mount of triumph following the battle herald’s glorious (if often tattered) banner.
This is a prestige archetype.
Prestige Class: Battle herald from Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Advanced Player's Guide.
Build Classes: Bard.
Hit Die: d8.
The battle herald's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Acrobatics (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (engineering) (Int), Knowledge (history) (Int), Knowledge (local) (Int), Knowledge (nobility) (Int), Perform (oratory) (Cha), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), and Swim (Str).
Skill Ranks at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.
This is all the class features of the battle herald.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Battle heralds are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, with all types of armor (heavy, light, and medium) and with shields (except tower shields).
Inspiring Command (Ex)
A battle herald uses his keen tactical acumen and decisive judgment to lead others to victory, as well as his mastery of command to assist himself and his allies in battle.
At first level a battle herald may use inspiring command to inspire courage. At 1st level, and every two levels thereafter, the battle herald chooses one additional command to learn.
Unless otherwise noted, the battle herald's inspiring commands give a +1 competence bonus to the checks noted under each command. This inspiring command bonus increases to +2 at level 4 and by a further +1 every 4 class levels after level 4. This bonus applies to him and to all allies within 60 feet able to see or hear him. Commands marked with an asterisk have the same range as above but only affect a certain number of allies (which can include the battle herald). All commands are mind-affecting, language-dependent, emotion effects.
Issuing an inspiring command is a move action. At 9th level, this becomes a swift action, and at 17th level, it becomes an immediate action. Maintaining an inspiring command is a free action that cannot be disrupted, but its effects end immediately if the battle herald is killed or otherwise prevented from taking actions (such as being dazed, helpless, or stunned). The battle herald cannot have more than one command in effect at any time. He may use this ability for a number of rounds per day equal to 8 + his Charisma modifier, plus 4 additional rounds per level after the 1st. Inspiring command is a mind-affecting, emotion effect.
- Inspire Courage (Su): A 3rd level battle herald can use inspiring command to bolster them against fear and improving their combat abilities. An affected ally receives a bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects and on attack and weapon damage rolls equal to the battle herald’s command bonus.
- Battle Magic*: One ally gains a bonus on caster level checks and concentration checks equal to the battle herald’s command bonus.
- Inspire Hardiness: Allies gain DR: /— equal to twice the battle herald’s inspiring command bonus.
- Inspire Resistance: Allies gain acid, cold, electricity, fire, and sonic resistance equal to twice the battle herald’s inspiring command bonus.
- Inspired Tactics: Allies apply the battle herald’s inspiring command bonus on critical hit confirmation rolls, on combat maneuver checks, and as a dodge bonus to AC and CMD.
- Keep Your Heads: Allies apply the battle herald’s inspiring command bonus on Will saves and concentration checks.
- None Shall Fall*: A number of allies equal to the battle herald’s inspiring command bonus heal 1d6 points of damage. This healing is not positive energy and can heal constructs and undead creatures provided they are not immune to mind-affecting effects. Targeted allies who are poisoned may attempt a new poison saving throw with a bonus equal to the battle herald’s inspiring command bonus; a failed save has no additional effect, but a successful save counts toward curing the poison. This command is instantaneous and cannot be maintained.
- On Your Feet: Prone allies immediately stand up from prone and do not provoke attacks of opportunity for doing so. This command is instantaneous and cannot be maintained.
- Pincer Maneuver: Allies apply the battle herald’s inspiring command bonus to attack and damage rolls when flanking, and as a dodge bonus to AC against attacks of opportunity provoked by movement (including standing from prone).
- Rally: Allies affected by a fear effect may attempt a new saving throw against each fear effect on them; this new save has a bonus equal to the battle herald’s inspiring command bonus. This command is instantaneous and cannot be maintained.
- Reveille: Allies affected by exhaustion, fatigue, or sleep effects may attempt a new saving throw against each such effect; this new save has a bonus equal to the battle herald’s inspiring command bonus. If there is no saving throw DC given for the effect, roll against a save DC of 15. Allies who are sleeping normally automatically awaken instantly when this ability is used. This command is instantaneous and cannot be maintained.
- Scatter: Allies gain the benefits of the Wind Stance feat.
- Shake It Off*: One ally subject to an ongoing condition may attempt a new saving throw to negate the effects with a bonus equal to the battle herald’s inspiring command bonus. This ability does not help against instantaneous effects, effects that require recurring saving throws to avoid additional penalties (such as diseases and poisons), or effects that do not allow a saving throw. This command is instantaneous and cannot be maintained.
- Sound the Charge: Allies apply the battle herald’s inspiring command bonus to attack and damage rolls. Charging allies increase their speed by 5 feet times the battle herald’s inspiring command bonus.
- Sound the Retreat: Allies gain the benefit of the Lightning Stance feat.
- Stand Firm: Allies apply the battle herald’s inspiring command bonus as a dodge bonus to to AC, CMD and a competence bonus on Fortitude saves.
- Teamwork: Allies add the battle herald’s inspiring command bonus on skill checks or attack rolls made when using the aid another action, and if successful, the assisted ally increases the aid another bonus by an amount equal to the battle herald’s inspiring command bonus.
- Tuck and Roll: Allies apply the battle herald’s inspiring command bonus on Reflex saves and Acrobatics checks.
At 1st level, a battle herald receives a teamwork feat as a bonus feat. He must meet the prerequisites for this feat. As a standard action, the battle herald can grant a teamwork feat he knows to all allies within 30 feet who can see or hear him. Allies retain the use of this bonus feat for 3 rounds plus 1 round for every two levels the battle herald possesses. Allies do not need to meet the prerequisites of these bonus feats.
At level 3 and every 4 levels after level 4, the battle herald learns an additional bonus teamwork feat he meets the prerequisites for.
Voice of Authority (Ex)
A battle herald is skilled at shouting commands over the din of the battlefield and signaling allies when speech is impossible. He gains a +2 bonus on Diplomacy and Intimidate checks. In addition, his allies gain a bonus equal to the battle herald’s class level on Perception or Sense Motive checks to hear his commands or interpret his secret messages conveyed with Bluff.
Easy March (Ex)
At 4th level, allies within 60 feet of the battle herald can hustle or force march during overland travel without ill effects for a number of hours per day equal to 1 hour times his inspiring command bonus.
Armor Training (Ex)
Starting at 5th level, a battle herald learns to be more maneuverable while wearing armor. Whenever he is wearing armor, he reduces the armor check penalty by 1 (to a minimum of 0) and increases the maximum Dexterity bonus allowed by his armor by 1. Every four levels thereafter (9th, 13th, 17), these bonuses increase by +1 each time, to a maximum –4 reduction of the armor check penalty and a +4 increase of the maximum Dexterity bonus allowed.
In addition, a battle herald can move at his normal speed while wearing medium armor. At 9th level, a battle herald can move at his normal speed while wearing heavy armor.
Inspire Greatness (Ex)
At 6th level, a battle herald may use his inspiring command ability to inspire greatness. For every three levels a battle herald attains beyond 6th, he can target one additional ally while using this command (up to a maximum of five at 18th level). A creature inspired with greatness gains 2 bonus Hit Dice (d10s), the commensurate number of temporary hit points (apply the target’s Constitution modifier, if any, to these bonus Hit Dice), a +2 competence bonus on attack rolls, and a +1 competence bonus on Fortitude saves. The bonus Hit Dice count as regular Hit Dice for determining the effect of spells that are Hit Dice dependent.
Persistent Commands (Ex)
At 6th level, a battle herald may allow his inspiring commands to persist even if he is incapacitated and unable to maintain them. If the player chooses, the effects of the battle herald’s inspiring commands persist for a number of rounds equal to his Charisma bonus (these count toward his number of rounds per day limit). This ability does not apply if the battle herald intentionally stops maintaining an inspiring command—only if he is dazed, held, stunned, killed, and so on, and is unable to maintain them. If the battle herald recovers from incapacity while an inspiring command is ongoing, he may resume maintaining it as a free action.
Improved Leadership (Ex)
At 7th level, a battle herald with the Leadership feat adds his inspiring command bonus to his leadership score.
Greater Tactician (Ex)
At 8th level, the battle herald can use the tactician ability as a move action.
Inspire Heroics (Ex)
A battle herald of 10th level or higher can use inspiring command to install tremendous heroism in himself or a single ally within 30 feet. For every three battle herald levels the character attains beyond 10th, he can inspire heroics in one additional creature. Inspired creatures gain a morale bonus on saving throws and a dodge bonus to AC equal to the battle herald's command bonus.
Instant Commands (Ex)
At 10th level, a battle herald may use the keep your heads, none shall fall, on your feet, reveille, or shake it off while maintaining another inspiring command. The benefit of this command applies instantly and may not be maintained. He must know a particular inspiring command to use it with this ability. This counts as an additional round of inspiring command against the daily limit.
Inspire Last Stand (Ex)
At 12th level, a battle herald grants those affected by his inspiring command ability the benefits of the Diehard feat, in addition to the normal effects of the inspiring command.
Selective Command (Ex)
At 14th level, a battle herald can give different commands to different allies. Each command must be initiated and maintained separately, and each ally can choose which command to benefit from as a free action at the beginning of their round. No ally can be affected by more than one of these commands at once.
Master Tactician (Ex)
At 16th level, whenever the battle herald uses the tactician ability, he grants any two teamwork feats that he knows.
Complex Commands (Ex)
At 20th level, a battle herald can have more than one command ability in effect at one time. Each must be begun separately and requires a separate maintenance cost. This allows the battle herald to have more than one single-target command (such as battle magic) in effect at the same time. The effects of multiple instances of the same command ability do not stack, even if the bonuses provided by that ability would normally stack (for example, if the battle herald maintains two pincer maneuver commands, his allies do not get double the bonus, even though dodge bonuses normally stack).
Table: Battle Herald
|Level||Base Attack Bonus||Fort Save||Ref Save||Will Save||Special|
|1st||+0||+2||+0||+2||Inspiring command (+1, inspire courage), tactician|
|2nd||+1||+3||+0||+3||Voice of authority|
|3rd||+2||+3||+1||+3||Easy march, teamwork feat|
|4th||+3||+4||+1||+4||Inspiring command (+2)|
|6th||+4||+5||+2||+5||Inspire greatness, persistent commands|
|7th||+5||+5||+2||+5||Improved leadership, teamwork feat|
|8th||+6/+1||+6||+2||+6||Greater tactician, inspiring command (+3)|
|9th||+6/+1||+6||+3||+6||Armor training (heavy), inspiring command (swift),|
|10th||+7/+2||+7||+3||+7||Inspire greatness, instant command|
|12th||+9/+4||+8||+4||+8||Inspire last stand|
|13th||+9/+4||+8||+4||+8||Inspiring command (+4)|
|17th||+12/+7/+2||+10||+5||+10||Inspiring command (immediate)|
|18th||+13/+8/+3||+11||+6||+11||Inspiring command (+5)|
|The text in this article is Open Game Content. It is covered by the Open Game License v1.0a, rather than the Action copyright. To distinguish it, these items will have this notice. If you see any page that contains OGL material and does not show this license statement, please contact one of the Action administrators. Please note that images used in article may have different copyright than the text.|