Talk:Battle Herald (Apath)
Last Cavalier version:
|Unofficial rules compendium|
In every army there are leaders who surpass the average cold-hearted mercenary, battle-scarred veteran, or wizened drill instructor, not so much in their skill at arms but in their ability to inspire and lead others. Battle heralds are just such captains—skilled warriors to be sure, but ones who have honed the art of leadership to a keen edge and keep it as ready as their sword as a means to victory. Battle heralds tap into reservoirs of courage, skill, bravery, and perseverance that those who serve with them never knew they had, and their allies often find themselves ascending the mount of triumph following the battle herald’s glorious (if often tattered) banner.
This is a prestige class archetype.
Prestige Class: Battle herals.
Build Classes: Cavalier.
Hit Die: d10.
The battle herald's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Acrobatics (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (engineering) (Int), Knowledge (history) (Int), Knowledge (local) (Int), Knowledge (nobility) (Int), Perform (oratory) (Cha), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), and Swim (Str).
Skill Ranks at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.
This archetype has all normal class features, except as noted.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Battle heralds are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, with all types of armor (heavy, light, and medium) and with shields (except tower shields).
Once per day, a battle herald can challenge a foe to combat. As a swift action, the battle herald chooses one target within sight to challenge. The battle herald’s melee attacks deal extra damage whenever the attacks are made against the target of her challenge. This extra damage is equal to half the battle herald’s level. The battle herald can use this ability once per day at 1st level, plus one additional time per day at level six and for every six levels beyond level six, to a maximum of four times per day at 18th level.
Challenging a foe requires much of the battle herald’s concentration. The battle herald takes a –2 penalty to her Armor Class, except against attacks made by the target of her challenge. The challenge remains in effect until the target is dead or unconscious or until the combat ends.
A battle herald must choose an office. Each selection gives a number of abilities.
The office of castelian is concerned with fortifications and interior defense .
The castelian office grants a +2 bonus on Knowledge (dungeoneering) and Knowledge (engineer) and these skills become class skills.
Armor Training: Starting at 3rd level, a castelian battle herald learns to be more maneuverable while wearing armor. Whenever she is wearing armor, she reduces the armor check penalty by 1 (to a minimum of 0) and increases the maximum Dexterity bonus allowed by her armor by 1. Every five levels thereafter (8th, 13th, 18), these bonuses increase by +1 each time, to a maximum –4 reduction of the armor check penalty and a +4 increase of the maximum Dexterity bonus allowed.
In addition, a castelian battle herald can move at her normal speed while wearing medium armor. At 9th level, a castelian battle herald can move at her normal speed while wearing heavy armor.
Office of Chivalry
The office of chivalry is the cavalry order.
The office of chivalry grants a +2 bonus on Knowledge (geography) and Knowledge (nature) and these skills become class skills.
Mount: A chivalric battle herald gains the cavalier's mount ability as a cavalier of her battle herald level.
Office of Heraldry
The office of heraldry is concerned with honor.
The office of heraldry grants a +2 bonus on Knowledge (Local) and Knowledge (Nobility) and these skills become class skills.
Recital: At third level the battle herald can use inspiring command to counter magic effects that depend on sight or sound (but not spells that have verbal components.). Each round of recital she makes a Perform (oratory) skill check. Any creature within 30 feet of the battle herald (including the battle herald himself) that is affected by a illusion (pattern), illusion (figment), sonic, or language-dependent magical attack may use the battle herald's Perform check result in place of its saving throw if, after the saving throw is rolled, the Perform check result proves to be higher. If a creature within range of the recital is already under the effect of a non-instantaneous sonic or language-dependent magical attack, it gains another saving throw against the effect each round it hears the recital, but it must use the battle herald's Perform skill check result for the save. Recital does not work on effects that don't allow saves.
Inspire Heroics: A battle herald with the office of heraldry of 10th level or higher can use inspiring command to install tremendous heroism in himself or a single ally within 30 feet. For every three battle herald levels the character attains beyond 10th, he can inspire heroics in one additional creature. Inspired creatures gain a morale bonus on saving throws and a dodge bonus to AC equal to the battle herald's command bonus.
At 1st level, a battle herald receives a teamwork feat as a bonus feat. She must meet the prerequisites for this feat. As a standard action, the battle herald can grant this feat to all allies within 30 feet who can see and hear her. Allies retain the use of this bonus feat for 3 rounds plus 1 round for every two levels the battle herald possesses. Allies do not need to meet the prerequisites of these bonus feats. The battle herald can use this ability once per day at 1st level, plus one additional time per day at 5th level and for every 5 levels thereafter.
At level 5 and every 5 levels after level 5, the battle herald learns an additional teamwork feat.
Herald’s Charge (Ex)
At 3rd level, a battle herald learns to make more accurate charge attacks. The battle herald receives a +4 bonus on melee attack rolls on a charge (instead of the normal +2). In addition, the battle herald does not suffer any penalty to her AC after making a charge attack.
Inspiring Command (Ex)
A battle herald uses her keen tactical acumen and decisive judgment to lead others to victory, as well as her mastery of command to assist herself and her allies in battle.
At third level a battle herald may use inspiring command to inspire courage. At 5th level, and every two levels thereafter, the battle herald chooses one command to learn. Unless otherwise noted, these abilities provide a competence bonus equal to the battle herald’s inspiring command bonus to her and to all allies within 60 feet able to see or hear her. Commands marked with an asterisk have the same range as above but only affect a certain number of allies (which can include the battle herald).
Issuing an inspiring command is a move action. At 9th level, this becomes a swift action, and at 15th level, it becomes an immediate action. Maintaining an inspiring command is a free action that cannot be disrupted, but its effects end immediately if the battle herald is killed or otherwise prevented from taking actions (such as being dazed, helpless, or stunned). The battle herald cannot have more than one command in effect at a time. She may use this ability for a number of rounds per day equal to 4 + her Charisma modifier, plus 2 additional rounds per level after 1st. Inspiring commands are language-dependent, mind-affecting, emotion effects.
- Inspire Courage (Su): A 3rd level battle herald can use inspiring command to inspire courage in her allies (including himself), bolstering them against fear and improving their combat abilities. An affected ally receives a morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects and a competence bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls equal to the battle herald’s command bonus.
- Battle Magic*: One ally gains a bonus on caster level checks and concentration checks equal to the battle herald’s command bonus.
- Inspire Hardiness: Allies gain DR/— equal to the battle herald’s inspiring command bonus.
- Inspired Tactics: Allies apply the battle herald’s inspiring command bonus on critical hit confirmation rolls, on combat maneuver checks, and as a dodge bonus to AC against any attacks of opportunity provoked by combat maneuvers.
- Keep Your Heads: Allies apply the battle herald’s inspiring command bonus on Will saves and concentration checks.
- None Shall Fall*: A number of allies equal to the battle herald’s inspiring command bonus heal 1d6 points of damage. Targeted allies who are poisoned may attempt a new poison saving throw with a bonus equal to the battle herald’s inspiring command bonus; a failed save has no additional effect, but a successful save counts toward curing the poison. This healing is not positive energy and can heal undead creatures.
- Pincer Maneuver: Allies apply the battle herald’s inspiring command bonus to attack and damage rolls when flanking and as a dodge bonus to AC against attacks of opportunity provoked by movement (including standing from prone).
- Rally: Allies affected by a fear effect may attempt a new saving throw against each fear effect on them; this new save has a bonus equal to the battle herald’s inspiring command bonus.
- Reveille: Allies affected by exhaustion, fatigue, or sleep effects may attempt a new saving throw against each such effect; this new save has a bonus equal to the battle herald’s inspiring command bonus. If there is no saving throw DC given for the effect, roll against a save DC of 15. Allies who are sleeping normally automatically awaken when this ability is used.
- Scatter*: A number of allies equal to the battle herald’s inspiring command bonus gain the benefits of the Wind Stance feat.
- Shake It Off*: One ally subject to an ongoing condition may attempt a new saving throw to negate the effects with a bonus equal to the battle herald’s inspiring command bonus. This ability does not help against instantaneous effects, effects that require recurring saving throws to avoid additional penalties (such as diseases and poisons), or effects that do not allow a saving throw.
- Sound the Charge: Allies apply the battle herald’s inspiring command bonus to attack and damage rolls. Charging allies increase their speed by 5 feet times the battle herald’s inspiring command bonus.
- Sound the Retreat: Allies gain the benefit of the Lightning Stance feat. The battle herald must have the scatter ability to select this ability.
- Stand Firm: Allies apply the battle herald’s inspiring command bonus to CMD and on Fortitude saves.
- Teamwork: Allies add the battle herald’s inspiring command bonus on skill checks or attack rolls made when using the aid another action, and if successful, the assisted ally increases the aid another bonus by an amount equal to the battle herald’s inspiring command bonus.
- Tuck and Roll: Allies apply the battle herald’s inspiring command bonus on Reflex saves and Acrobatics checks.
Easy March (Ex)
At 4th level, allies within 60 feet of the battle herald can hustle or force march during overland travel without ill effects for a number of hours per day equal to 1 hour times her inspiring command bonus.
Inspire Greatness (Ex)
At 6th level, a battle herald may use her inspiring command ability to inspire greatness. For every three levels a battle herald attains beyond 6th, she can target one additional ally while using this performance (up to a maximum of five at 18th level). A creature inspired with greatness gains 2 bonus Hit Dice (d10s), the commensurate number of temporary hit points (apply the target’s Constitution modifier, if any, to these bonus Hit Dice), a +2 competence bonus on attack rolls, and a +1 competence bonus on Fortitude saves. The bonus Hit Dice count as regular Hit Dice for determining the effect of spells that are Hit Dice dependent.
Improved Leadership (Ex)
A battle herald with the Leadership feat adds her inspiring command bonus to her leadership score.
Greater Tactician (Ex)
At 8th level, the battle herald can use the tactician ability as a move action.
Demanding Challenge (Ex)
At 10th level, whenever a battle herald declares a challenge, her target must pay attention to the threat she poses. As long as the target is within the threatened area of the battle herald, it takes a –2 penalty to its AC from attacks made by anyone other than the battle herald.
Persistent Commands (Ex)
At 13th level, a battle herald may allow her inspiring commands to persist even if she is incapacitated and unable to maintain them. If the player chooses, the effects of the battle herald’s inspiring commands persist for a number of rounds equal to her Charisma bonus (these count toward her number of rounds per day limit). This ability does not apply if the battle herald intentionally stops maintaining an inspiring command—only if she is dazed, held, stunned, killed, and so on, and is unable to maintain them. If the battle herald recovers from incapacity while an inspiring command is ongoing, she may resume maintaining it as a free action.
Greater Banner (Ex)
At 14th level, the battle herald’s banner becomes a rallying call to her allies. All allies within 60 feet receive a +2 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and compulsion spells and effects. In addition, while her banner is displayed, the battle herald can spend a standard action to wave the banner through the air, granting all allies within 60 feet an additional saving throw against any one spell or effect that is targeting them. This save is made at the original DC. Spells and effects that do not allow saving throws are unaffected by this ability. An ally cannot benefit from this ability more than once per day.
Inspire Last Stand (Ex)
At 14th level, a battle herald may use inspiring command to grant herself and all allies within 30 feet the benefits of the Diehard feat.
Master Tactician (Ex)
At 16th level, whenever the battle herald uses the tactician ability, she grants any two teamwork feats that she knows. She can select from any of his teamwork feats, not just her bonus feats.
Complex Commands (Ex)
At 20th level, a battle herald can have more than one command ability in effect at one time. Each must be begun separately and requires a separate maintenance cost. This allows the battle herald to have more than one single-target command (such as battle magic) in effect at the same time. The effects of multiple instances of the same command ability do not stack, even if the bonuses provided by that ability would normally stack (for example, if the battle herald maintains two pincer maneuver commands, her allies do not get double the bonus, even though dodge bonuses normally stack).
Table: Battle Herald
|Level||Base Attack Bonus||Fort Save||Ref Save||Will Save||Special|
|2nd||+2||+3||+0||+0||voice of authority|
|3rd||+3||+3||+1||+1||herald's charge, inspiring command (+1, inspire courage)|
|4th||+4||+4||+1||+1||Easy march, Teamwork feat|
|5th||+5||+4||+1||+1||2nd inspiring command, banner|
|6th||+6/+1||+5||+2||+2||Challenge 2/day, inspire greatness|
|7th||+7/+2||+5||+2||+2||3rd inspiring command, improved leadership|
|8th||+8/+3||+6||+2||+2||Greater tactician, Inspiring command (+2)|
|9th||+9/+4||+6||+3||+3||4th inspiring command (swift)|
|11th||+11/+6/+1||+7||+3||+3||5th inspiring command|
|12th||+12/+7/+2||+8||+4||+4||Challenge 3/day, Teamwork feat|
|13th||+13/+8/+3||+8||+4||+4||6th inspiring command (+3), persistent commands|
|14th||+14/+9/+4||+9||+4||+4||Greater banner, inspire last stand|
|15th||+15/+10/+5||+9||+5||+5||7th inspiring command (immediate)|
|17th||+17/+12/+7/+2||+10||+5||+5||8th inspiring command|
|18th||+18/+13/+8/+3||+11||+6||+6||Challenge 4/day, inspiring command (+4)|
|19th||+19/+14/+9/+4||+11||+6||+6||9th inspiring command|