Pelor (Greyhawk Action)
Pelor was known as Sol by the early Oeridians. The Solnor Ocean is named for him.
Among the Bakluni, Pelor is known as Al'Asran. Al'Asran is said to have granted the legendary Cup and Talisman to Al'Akbar.
Among the Flan nomads of the Bright Desert, Pelor is known as Aurifar.
In Synchretism Pelor is the god of the sun, life, and fortune. To Oerdians, she is known as Sotillion, the goddess of summer and comfort. Ascended mortals sponsored by him tend to focus on one of aspects – fire, agriculture, or fighting evil. Mayahene is an ascended paladin of Pelor and defender of good. Python is the Suel god of nature, beauty, and farming, while Joramy is the Suel goddess of fire, volcanoes, righteous wrath, and unbending will. Velnius is the Oerdian god of the sky and overseer of the seasons, mediator of the wind gods.
Pelor (PAY-lor) is the Flan sun god, known throughout the entire Flanaess. Riding the great kirin Star Thought, he summons flights of eagles and destroys evils with bolts of sunlight. Depicted as an old man in white, with wild hair and a beard of shining gold, he was until recently a peaceful and gentle god concerned with the alleviation of suffering. Then he became a more martial deity who brings his wrath to bear on darkness and evil. This aspect of the cult branched off into the separate sub-cult of Mayaheine, summoned by Pelor for this very purpose. Now he invigorates and heals those who champion the cause of good, but does not fight himself. Still, the stylized sun-face holy symbol is painted on shields and banners across the Flanaess.
The energy of life originates from the sun. This light brings strength to the weak and health to the injured, while destroying darkness and evil. Do not be afraid to challenge the forces of corruption, but remember that just as staring at the sun can cause blindness of the eyes, relentless attention to the destruction of negative forces can blind the heart to the true essentials of life: kindness, mercy, and compassion.
Pelor's clerics are usually quiet, kindly people with a backbone of steel. They are primarily nurturers and protectors, but when the time comes to bear arms they are not afraid to do so. They use their powers to heal, nourish, and otherwise aid the needy, while practicing the skills needed to protect their charges should they be threatened. Clerics of Pelor are free to explore far lands in an effort to drive off harmful beings and spread their god's gift to all who need it.
Alignment: Neutral Good
Weapon: Heavy mace
Symbol: Sun face
Good, Healing, Nobility, Strength (Resolve), Sun.
The sun lord values the redemptive powers of compassion and patience, and extends them to all who might be capable of good. Offer to heal a stranger of his wounds, usually by using the Heal skill, but magic is encouraged. Tell the stranger it is by the will of Pelor that you share your healing gifts. If you can’t find a stranger who will accept your offer, stand beneath the open sky during the daylight hours. Look at the sun's reflection, preferably on gold or yellow metal, but anything is permissible . Gain a +4 sacred bonus on Heal checks.
Evangelist or Feat
- Healing Spirit (Sp) cure light wounds 3/day, aid 2/day, or remove curse 1/day
- Fiery Spirit (Su) You have spent so much time in the sun, reveling in Pelor’s power and meditating on his glory, that its fiery rays have soaked into your very soul. You gain fire resistance 10.
- Holy Brand of the Sun (Su) Your devotion to the sun lord allows you to wrap your weapon in his cleansing flames to better bring justice to his foes. For a number of rounds per day equal to 1 + 1 for every 4 Hit Dice you possess (maximum 6 rounds), you can cause flames to wreathe your weapon. Any weapon you hold while this ability is active becomes a +1 flaming burst weapon. (You can use this ability on a ranged weapon, but can’t apply it directly to a piece of ammunition.) If you drop the weapon or give it away, the flame effect on that weapon immediately ends. If the weapon you hold has an enhancement bonus greater than +1, use the higher bonus. Activating or deactivating this ability is a free action, and the rounds in which you use the ability don’t need to be consecutive.
- Brightness (Sp) dancing lanternAPG 3/day, continual flame 2/day, or daylight 1/day
- Healing Sunburst (Su) You can transmute the sun’s burning rays into brilliant, healing fire. You can add your exalted levels to any cleric levels you have to calculate the power of your channel energy ability. In addition, you can spend three of your daily uses of your channel energy ability to channel an especially powerful burst of healing that manifests as a bright burst of sunlight around you. Anyone healed by your channeled energy sunburst who is currently suffering from poison or a nonmagical disease can immediately attempt a new saving throw with a +2 sacred bonus to end the poison or disease effect.
- Angelic Ally (Sp) Once per day as a standard action, you can summon a movanic deva (Pathfinder RPG Bestiary 2 28) to aid you. You gain telepathy with the movanic deva to a range of 100 feet. The deva follows your commands perfectly for 1 minute for every Hit Die you possess before vanishing back to its home. The deva doesn’t follow commands that would cause it to violate its alignment by committing evil acts, and it could even attack you if the command is particularly egregious.
- Firebrand (Sp) produce flame 3/day, fire breathAPG 2/day, or fireball 1/day
- Channel Efficiency (Su) You are a talented healer, and have honed your ability so that you can preserve your resources while you provide aid to the wounded. You can channel positive energy by consuming a single use of your lay on hands ability instead of two uses. If you don’t have the lay on hands class feature (or if you have lay on hands but can’t use it to channel positive energy), you instead gain a +2 sacred bonus on Perception checks.
- Sunburst Strike (Sp) Once per day, you can channel the effects of sunburst through your weapon. You must declare your use of this ability before you roll your attack. On a hit, the target is affected as if you had cast sunburst, as well as taking normal weapon damage. The sunburst effect you generate affects only the target you have struck, not an area of effect as it would normally. If you miss with your attack, the sunburst ability is wasted.
Paladin and Liberator Code
The paladins of the sun lord are protectors and avenger. They provide hope to the weak and support to the righteous. His liberators do much the same, but focus more on the interior of Pelor's lands, expunging decadence, harsh rule, and corruption. Their tenets include the following adages.
- I will protect my allies and charges with my life. They are my light and my strength, as I am their light and their strength. We rise together.
- I will seek out and destroy the spawn of the death lord, Nerull, such as undead. If I cannot defeat them, I will give my life trying. If my life would be wasted in the attempt, I will find allies. If any fall because of my inaction, their deaths lie upon my soul, and I will atone for each.
- I am fair to others and expect them to be fair to me. If I am not shown due respect, I am free to wander off, as the sun rides away over the land.
- The best battle is a battle I win. If I die, I can no longer fight. I will fight fairly when the fight is fair, and I will strike quickly and without mercy when it is not.
- I will show the less fortunate the light of the sun lord. I will live my life as his mortal blade, shining with the light of truth.
- The sun shines on all the world, good and evil. I am magnanimous towards those who might be redeemed. I will redeem the ignorant with my words and my actions. If they threaten the faithful, I will redeem them by the sword.
- Each day is another step toward grace. I will not turn into the dark. My soul cannot be bought for all the stars in the sky.