Vecna (Greyhawk Action)
The Common god of secrets is an ascended lich and archmage. He has hidden covens of conspirators, often infiltrating magical guilds. The cult is small, but many members are powerful mages or rogues.
In Flan myths, Vecna deposed Zodal to become the greatest king of the Ur-Flan. Vecna mastered all the tribes by learning and using their secrets against them. In time he became the first lich and was served by the first vampire, creating an empire of evil that fell only when the two fought it out.
Vecna (VEK-nah) was a terrifying and evil Flan lich-king who gained a foothold on godhood thousands of years ago. Betrayed by his lieutenant Kas, the Whispered One disappeared from Oerth, leaving behind his legend and his two great artifacts, the Eye and Hand of Vecna. He recently became a lesser god after freeing himself from an extraplanar prison and now plots the destruction of all other gods so that he may take Oerth for himself. He has a great hatred for Iuz and is hated and feared by other deities. His symbol is a left hand clutching a human eye.
No matter how powerful a being is, there exists a secret that can destroy him. In every heart is a seed of darkness hidden from all others; find that evil seed, and your enemies are undone. Strength and power come if you know and control what others dare not show. Never reveal all that you know, or your enemies will lake your seed, too.
Vecna's clerics subvert governments, seduce good folk to evil, and plot the eventual takeover of all Oerth. So hated is this cult that these clerics' lives are forfeit if they are discovered. They are very secretive as a result but can be found anywhere, spreading evil or looking for items that date back to their master's ancient empire. Of particular interest are Vecna's two artifacts, which once again are lost.
Alignment: Neutral Evil.
Symbol: Eyeball in the palm of a left hand.
Artifice (Construct) Darkness (Loss), Death (Undead), Knowledge (any subdomain), Magic (Arcane).
While moving through a crowd of people (at least six individuals), whisper a prayer to Vecna so quietly that no one hears you. If you suspect a member of the crowd heard you, you must follow that individual either cast a non-harmless spell on her or and prick her with a needle or other sharp implement. If you can’t locate a suitable crowd, dig a hole at least 6 inches deep in the ground, whisper your prayers into the hole, and bury the sound. Gain a +3 profane bonus on Bluff checks and on Diplomacy checks to gather information.
Evangelist or Feat
- Secrets and Lies (Sp) comprehend languages 3/day, detect thoughts 2/day, or clairaudience/clairvoyance 1/day
- Cunning Lies (Ex) You can use your Intelligence modifier instead of your Charisma modifier on Bluff checks. You can use Bluff as if it was Diplomacy to gather information or make a request.
- Secret Self (Sp) Once per day, you can use greater invisibility on yourself as a spell-like ability. When you use this spell-like ability, you gain certain gifts from Vecna in addition to the spell effects. You gain a +4 profane bonus on Perception checks while invisible. You gain a +2 profane bonus on attack rolls made with thrown weapons, ranged weapons, and short swords while invisible as well. In addition, the invisibility effect lasts for 1 minute/level instead of the normal 1 round/level.
- Poison Tongue (Sp) hidden speech 3/day, anonymous interaction 2/day, or witness 1/day
- Enervating Strike (Sp) You can use enervation (sp) with a range of touch. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to your Wisdom modifier.
- Virulent Ally (Sp) Once per day as a standard action, you can summon a piscodaemon (Pathfinder RPG Bestiary 2 72) to serve you. The piscodaemon follows your commands perfectly for 1 minute for every Hit Die you possess before vanishing back to its home in Abaddon. The piscodaemon doesn’t follow commands that would cause it to act in altruistically good ways, and could attack you if a command is particularly egregious.
- Trust Breaker (Sp) doom 3/day, fox's cunning 2/day, or keen edge 1/day
- Sly Maneuver (Su) A number of times per day equal to your Intelligence modifier (minimum 1), you can add your Intelligence modifier (minimum 1) to your combat maneuver bonus.
- Fatal Choice (Su) Once per day, upon defeating an opponent, you can heal it and attempt to force it to obey you. As soon as you reduce a living creature to –1 or fewer hit points, you can force it to attempt a Will saving throw with a DC equal to 10 + 1/2 your Hit Dice + your Intelligence modifier. If it succeeds, it begins dying as normal. If the target fails, it is restored to 1 hit point and is affected as per the spell charm monster. The target can willingly fail this saving throw.