Spy (Charisma) (5A)
|Starfox's 5th Edition Fan Page
Oh, you work for the mayor? Here, have another drink. What is she like? Is it true she has a safe hidden behind a picture of her prize pig? Oh, the vanity!
An Exemplar subclass. Spies do investigative work like talking to locals, direct reconnaissance of enemy agents and facilities, infiltration, and even a fair bit of brawling in back alleys. A broad skill set is required—a spy must be able to sneak in and out of places, blend into the local populace, escape pursuit, and fight competently.
A spy might be known as a con-man, spy, crook, or tourist.
1st Level: Focus Ability
Your Focus Ability is Charisma. You are proficient in Dexterity and Charisma saving throws.
1st Level: Spy Proficiencies
When you choose this focus you gain proficiency with Deception, Stealth, and thieves’ tools. You gain expertise (double Proficiency Bonus) in Deception. For each of these you already know select any skill to learn instead.
1st Level: Ad Lib
You develop an ability to fake proficiency in abilities you do not have.
- You gain proficiency with all martial weapons.
- You can disguise yourself as wearing armor even when you are not.
- You can use a Disguise Kit to change your appearance as an action.
2nd Level: Spy Tricks
You can choose these tricks only available to spies.
- Getaway. You can use this trick as an action to perform both the Dash, Escape, and Hide actions all in the same round.
- Hindering Strike. When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can use this trick to reduce its speed to 5 feet until the end of your next turn. You have the option to not deal damage with this attack.
- Quick Change. When you are not directly observed by hostile creatures you may spend an action to make a significant change to your appearance. You can use Charisma (Deception) to assume a new identity as a part of this trick, as long as the disguise is only a matter of head and clothes. For the next minute, you have advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks to hide and Charisma (Deception) checks to hide your identity.
- Vanish. You can use this trick as a free action to take the Hide action as long as you have sufficient concealment.
3rd Level: Semblance of Skill
Your ability to fake skills improves.
- You can perform tasks that normally require a proficiency, such as using a tool or musical instrument even if you lack that proficiency. This includes using the Help action to assist others.
- When another ask you about a skill or task or inspect your work, you can use Charisma (Deception) instead of whatever skill or ability you are supposed to be using. The only effect of a success is to convince the listener you are competent in the skill.
- When you use the Help action to assist another perform a task, you can make an Charisma (Deception) check as a part of the Help action. Onlookers who fail an opposed Wisdom (Insight) check will believe you were the one doing the task, and that the one actually doing the task was actually helping you. Even the person you helped might believe your skill made all the difference, but has advantage on the Wisdom (Insight) check to see through your trick.
6th Level: Spy Dice
You can use Exemplar Dice in new and interesting ways.
- You can use an Exemplar Die die to add to the save DC of an effect you use.
- When you do not have concealment enough to hide, you can spend an Exemplar Die. The number rolled is the number of turns you can hide without having anything to hide behind.
- When an observer is about to spot you when you are hiding or to penetrate your disguise, you can spend an Exemplar Die. Subtract three from the result, this is the number of rounds it will take for them to actually see through your trickery. This effect ends if you take an obviously harmful action, such as if they see you make an attack.
6th Level: Instant Native
You gain the ability to quickly blend into communities you operate in. You gain proficiency in an additional language. Whenever you finish a long rest, you may exchange this language for a different one, but the language you choose must be one widely spoken in the region where you took the long rest.
10th Level: Learn the Layout
You gain a much greater sense of your surroundings. When you enter a structure, you are immediately aware of any non-hidden exits within 100 feet. When you pass within 30 feet of a secret door in your line of sight, the DM makes an Intelligence (Investigation) check for you to find it.
14th Level: Tremorsense
Your already formidable situational awareness rises to preternatural levels. You gain tremorsense with a range of 30 feet.