Scrapper (Dexterity) (5A)
|Starfox's 5th Edition Fan Page
“I can’t let you do that,” said the small, unassuming fellow, brushing back his thin hair and wrapping one hand about the top of his walking stick as the brutes turn to face him, their would-be victim dangling in the air. One of the hobgoblins lashes out with an axe but misses, the short man pushing the weapon’s haft ever so slightly and leaning to the side to avoid the powerful swing. The next thug stabs in a vicious thrust but his target steps to the right, lashing out with a cane to strike the attacker’s knee and diverting the assault into the hobgoblin holding the victim aloft. As they look upon him with new regard the little man squares himself once more and nonchalantly asks “shall we begin?”
As a scrapper you are a master of violence. Most warriors work towards maximum force, but scrapper exemplars approach fighting from a different mindset, seeking to control a battle through precise application of force. Rather than try to overpower an opponent they maneuver them into a perilous position. Whether you choose to do that up close or at range, you are as effective as any standard warrior and what’s more, because of your subtleties you are easily underestimated.
An scrapper might be a militant scholar, fencing-master, or sophisticated duelist. Others may call themselves armed companions or warriors of romance. Some work as bodyguards or discreet enforcers, usually hiding such duties under an air of sophistication. Individual scrappers defy expectations in many ways but are rarely are as flamboyant as the typical swashbuckler, seeing violence as an abhorrent but necessary skill to master.
1st level: Focus Ability
Your Focus Ability is Dexterity. You are proficient in Dexterity and Charisma saving throws.
1st level: Scrapper Proficiencies
When you choose this focus at 1st level, you gain proficiency with light armor and the Intimidation skill. You gain expertise (double Proficiency Bonus) in Intimidation. If you already know Intimidation, you instead learn another skill of your choice.
1st level: Light Armor Mastery
While you are wearing light armor and not using a shield, add your Proficiency Bonus to your Armor Class.
2nd level: Scrapper Tricks
You can choose these tricks only available to Scrappers.
- Affront. On your turn, use this trick to force all creatures within 30 feet to make a Charisma saving throw. On a failure, the target’s attention is drawn to you and it has disadvantage any attack or Perception roll it makes against anyone but you until the start of your next turn. A target that passes this saving throw automatically succeeds on further saving throws against this ability until the start of your next turn. If a target is inside one of your allies' reach, attacks a target, or forces the target to make a saving throw, the effect ends on that target.
- Blinding Strike. Use this trick when you damage a creature with a weapon attack. The target must make a Constitution saving throw or be blinded until the start of your next turn. A creature that successfully saves against this trick automatically succeeds at the saving throw against this ability until the start of your next turn.
- Pin Down. Use this trick when you damage a creature with a weapon attack. The target must make a Dexterity saving throw or it's speed is reduced to zero until the start of their next turn. They cannot gain any bonus to speed while this is in effect. When you see a creature moving, you can use this trick as a reaction to make a weapon attack against them, and if you inflict damage, they must save or have their movement stopped as above.
- Tangled Dance. Use this trick at any time. Until the start of your next turn, your AC increases by 1 for each enemy within 30 feet of you, to a maximum bonus equal to your Proficiency Bonus.
3rd level: Studied Target
You can spend a bonus action studying a creature. For the next minute, you can add your Exemplar Die to the damage of all weapon attack against the studied target. This does not consume dice from your Exemplar Dice pool.
6th level: Scrapper Dice
You can use Exemplar Dice in new ways.
- You can use dice from your Exemplar Dice pool to improve weapon attacks. After rolling for an attack, you can spend an Exemplar Die and add the result to both the attack roll and damage of the attack. This stacks with the added damage from Studied Target.
- You can use an exemplar die to dodge attacks. Add the die result to your Armor Class until the end of the current turn.
- When you hit an enemy with an attack, you can expend an exemplar die. You can move the target creature 5 feet times the result of your exemplar die into any position the target could move into.
10th level: Exploit Patterns
You get the damage bonus of Studied Target ability at all times, without needing to spend any action.
14th level: Disable
You learn how to immobilize an enemy. When you spend an Exemplar Die on a weapon attack and hit, you can force the target to make a Constitution saving throw. On a failure, the target is Paralyzed for a number of rounds equal to your Dexterity modifier. At the end of each of its turns, the target can make a Constitution saving throw, ending the effect on itself on a success.