Ooze Bloodline (5A)
|Starfox's 5th Edition Fan Page
Source: Mike Myler in En5ider 147 under the name Oozemancer Bloodline.
Where others see oozes as misfits of nature that bring nothing but destruction, you see gelatinous allies and companions. Regardless of good sense and the way it makes your skin crawl, your fondness for oozes has granted you a supernatural understanding of the creatures.
Starting at 1st level, you learn additional spells when you reach certain levels in this class, as shown on the Ooze Spells table. Each of these spells counts as a sorcerer spell for you, but it doesn't count against the number of sorcerer spells you know.
Whenever you gain a sorcerer level, you can replace one spell you gained from this feature with another spell of the same level. The new spell must be from the sorcerer spell list.
|Absorb Elements, Chromatic Orb
|Dragon's Breath, Protection From Poison
|Aura of Vitality, Stinking Cloud
|Evard's Black Tentacles, Watery Sphere
|Far Step, Maelstrom
At 1st level, you master the conjuration of a strange fungus called chimatuluka. Oozes crave chimatuluka and when adjacent to or hit with as much as a handful, mindlessly consume it for a number of rounds equal to half your proficiency bonus (completely ignoring creatures attacking it). By spending 10 minutes focusing your magical energies, you create a number of handfuls of chimatuluka equal to your proficiency bonus + Charisma modifier.
You learn the Find Familiar spell. The spell doesn’t count against your number of spells known. When you cast the spell, you can choose one of the normal forms for your familiar or use a handful of chimatuluka as a spell component to choose a gray ooze. Each time an ooze is summoned it must be fed chimatuluka, and after 1 hour and every hour afterward you must feed a summoned ooze one chimatuluka or roll 1d20. If the result is less than your sorcerer level the ooze consumes itself and dissolves into nothingness but otherwise it attacks the nearest living creature.
Any ooze you summon with this ability gains certain minimums; if the ooze has a lower value in the indicated value, instead use the value listed here.
- Hit Points. Cannot be less than your Hit Points and Hit Dice cannot be lower than your level.
- Attack Bonus. Cannot be less than your spell attack bonus.
- Saving Throw DC. The save DC of any of the ooze's abilities cannot be lower than your spell save DC.
- Speed. The lands speed cannot be less than 30 feet.
In combat, an ooze acts during your turn. It can move and use its reaction on its own, but the only action it takes is the Dodge action, unless you take a bonus action on your turn to command it to take another action. That action can be one in its stat block or some other action. If you are incapacitated, the ooze can take any action of its choice, not just Dodge.
Also at 1st level, you change to become more ooze-like. You become immune to the charmed and frightened conditions and gain resistance to acid damage.
Beginning at 6th level, you may use the Chimatuluka ability to summon a gelatinous cube or ochre jelly.
At 14th level, you can use your action to magically assume the shape of an ooze that you have seen. The ooze can have a maximum challenge rating equal to half your level. You can use this feature twice. You regain expended uses when you finish a short or long rest. You can stay in a ooze shape for as long as you like. You can revert to your normal form by using a bonus action on your turn. You automatically revert if you drop to 0 hit points or die.
While you are transformed, the following rules apply:
- Your game statistics are replaced by the statistics of the ooze, but you retain your alignment, personality, and Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. If the creature has any legendary or lair actions, you can't use them.
- When you transform, you assume the ooze's Hit Points and Hit Dice. When you revert to your normal form, you return to the number of hit points you had before you transformed. However, if you revert as a result of dropping to 0 hit points, any excess damage carries over to your normal form, For example, if you take 10 damage in ooze form and have only 1 hit point left, you revert and take 9 damage. As long as the excess damage doesn't reduce your normal form to 0 hit points, you aren't knocked unconscious.
- You can cast spells, but cannot satisfy verbal or somatic components. You can ignore verbal and somatic components by spending 1 sorcery point when you cast a spell. You can satisfy material components of spells, carrying materials or a spell focus inside your body.
- You your equipment is carried inside your ooze body. You can use potions, scrolls, rings, and spell foci carried inside your body, but no other magic items. You can drop and pick up items, and when the effect ends you can put on all worn equipment as a part of the transformation.
At 18th level, each time you take piercing or slashing damage, your viscous blood coalesces into a Medium-sized black ooze that attacks creatures hostile to you. This ooze appears in the nearest legal space and acts on your initiative but after you, always takes the Attack action in combat, and dissipates if it cannot sense any hostile creatures for a full minute.
Added minimums for oozes to insure they remain somewhat relevant at higher levels. Changed the order of the two last abilities. Added bloodline spells.