Oath of Discovery (5A)
|Starfox's 5th Edition Fan Page
Source: En5ider 153
Many a knight finds that questing for knowledge is one of the noblest pursuits, ultimately devoting their lives to the task of discovery. Orders of these warriors operate from libraries and royal archives, engaging in study and defending their fellow scholars when they are not searching the world for answers to its mysteries.
Oath of Discovery
A paladin that has taken this oath leaves no stone unturned and considers no secret to be truly forbidden!
Tenets of Discovery
- Knowledge Above All. Your life is nothing compared to the world’s memories.
- Responsibility. Any great evils or changes caused by your quests are yours to fix.
- Thoroughness. An unturned stone is as vile as an enemy that destroys knowledge.
- Trailblazer. Exploration is the most revered path to glory.
- Uncover Mystery. So called forbidden knowledge is only information privy to those worthy of knowing it.
You gain oath spells at the paladin levels listed.
|Comprehend Languages, Identify
|Augury, See Invisibility
|Arcane Eye, Divination
|Legend Lore, Scrying
When you take this oath at 3rd level, you gain the following two Channel Divinity options.
- Discern Weakness. As an action, you can learn the resistances, immunities, abilities, and attacks of any creature with a challenge rating no higher than your character level + 2. You must be able to see or hear the target and the full breadth of what you learn is at the discretion of the GM (particularly obscure monsters may reveal very little).
- Spirit of Discovery. As an action, you gain advantage on and double your proficiency bonus to a check made to gather information or for any ability check you make that uses Arcana, History, Insight, Investigation, Nature, or Religion.
Aura of Mindfulness
Starting at 7th level, you and friendly creatures within 10 feet of you gain resistance to psychic damage and advantage on one type of mental saving throw while you are conscious. You choose which saving throw (Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma) each time you finish a short or long rest. At 18th level, the range of this aura increases to 30 feet.
Beginning at 15th level, you are immune to the charmed condition, immediately receive a saving throw with advantage to when you see an illusion to see through it (without having to spend an action to assess it). In addition, your thoughts and perception cannot be altered by magic (such as modify memory).
At 20th level, your Aura of Mindfulness grants immunity to psychic damage, protects against two types of saving throws, and grants immunity to any effect that would sense emotions or read thoughts, divination spells, and the charmed condition. This aura even foils wish spells and spells or effects of similar power used to affect a protected target’s mind or gain information about the target. Additionally, you gain the ability to communicate telepathically with creatures within 120 feet, even if they do not share a language with you.