Masks Domain (5A)
|Starfox's 5th Edition Fan Page|
This is a Cleric domain for 5A.
The domain of masks deals with voluntary possession. The cleric channels a spirit that inhabits their body and gives divine powers that become more powerful as the cleric advances in level. The possessing spirit may be an avatar of a god, a servant of the divine such as a fiend or celestial, or a supernatural creature that is allied to the cleric and shares goals and beliefs. The player still controls the character when possessed in this way. Sometimes a cleric of masks will be possessed by a hostile spirit, but this is rare and would be an adventure in itself.
Greyhawk: Many Olman practice the domain of masks. There used to be an Olman civilization in the Amedio jungle, a league of independent city-states. When these cities fell, many Olman turned to Animism or druidic faiths, but others continued to practice the manifestation of their gods trough the domain of masks. A devotee of masks may worship several different gods and spirits, and can reach out to any of them for aid.
Lore of the Spirits
At 1st level you learn the Intimidation skill and two of the following languages of your choice: Aklo, Celestial, Draconic, Infernal, Primordial, Shadowtongue, or Sylvan.
At 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 9th level you gain access to the spells listed for that level in the Masks Spells table. Once you gain access to one of these spells, you always have it prepared, and it doesn't count against the number of spells you can prepare each day. If you gain access to a spell that doesn't appear on the cleric spell list, the spell is nonetheless a cleric spell for you.
|2||Absorb Elements, Hellish Rebuke|
|3||Augury, Wither and Bloom|
|5||Counterspell, Enemies Abound|
|7||Guardian of Nature, Polymorph|
|9||Contact Other Plane, Steel Wind Strike|
Mask of the Spirits
Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to assume the identity of one of the gods or spirits you worship. This can be a different spirit each time you use this ability.
- As an action, you put on a mask representing the spirit whose identity you are assuming and get a number of advantages for the next 10 minutes.
- You can pick any one cantrip. You learn this cantrip and it becomes a cleric spell to you.
- You gain advantage on all Charisma check against people who share your faith. This includes those who worship the same pantheon as you or belong to the same culture.
Voice of the Spirits
Beginning at 6th level, when you use Mask of the Spirits, you can choose to gain additional benefits.
- Your are covered by an illusion that makes you appear to be the creature whose identity you have assumed, but without changing your size or giving you the powers of the creature.
- You gain advantage on all Charisma (Intimidation) checks.
- Chose a type of damage from this list: Acid, Cold, Fire, Force, Lightning, Necrotic, Poison, Psychic, Radiant, or Thunder. You gain resistance against that damage.
- When you cast a spell that deals damage, you an replace the type of damage with the type you you choose to gain resistance to.
When you reach 8th level, you are blessed with divine might in battle. When a creature takes damage from one of your cantrips or weapon attacks, you can also deal 1d8 radiant damage to that creature. If you are using Voice of the Gods, this damage changes to match the damage type selected. Once you deal this damage, you can't use this feature again until the start of your next turn.
Stature of the Spirits
At 17th level and beyond, when you use Mask of the Spirits, can assume physical form of your god to gain these benefits.
- Your size becomes Large, but your space and reach does not change.
- You gain a climb speed, swim speed, and fly speed equal to your land speed. You can hover when flying.
- You have advantage on all ability checks.
- In combat all enemies within 100 feet who can see you must make a Wisdom saving throw against your spell DC or become frightened. A new saving throw is allowed at the end of the creature's turn to negate the effect. A creature that successfully saves against your use of this ability automatically succeeds on further saving throws until the end of your next long rest.
- You gain immunity to the type of damage selected with Mask of the Spirits.
- An enemy within 20 feet of you that attacks you or uses an effect that requires you to make a saving throw must make a Dexterity saving throw against your Spell DC or take 2d10 damage of the kind selected with Mask of the Spirits.
Originally written for druids, I rewrote this for clerics.
- Animist @ Apath