Elemental Sorcery (5A)
|Starfox's 5th Edition Fan Page
Your innate magic comes from the power of elemental forces. Many with this power can trace their magic back to a near-death experience caused by a natural disaster, but perhaps you were born during a howling gale so powerful that folk still tell stories of it, or your lineage might include the influence of potent elemental creatures such as efreet or djinn. Whatever the case, elemental magic permeates your being.
This origin replaces and expands on the Storm Sorcery origin.
Sorcerous Origin Abilities
At 1st level, you must select an elemental focus. This can be air, earth, fire, or water. Most of the abilities of elemental sorcery depend on which element you pick.
- Air sorcerers are invaluable members of a ship's crew. Their magic controls wind and weather.
- Earth sorcerers maintain or destroy settlements and fortresses. Their powers defend and keep enemies at bay.
- Fire sorcerers burn and melt to make room for new things. Their power over light can both illuminate and mislead.
- Water sorcerers favor the season of winter and many are haughty, mysterious figures that help or hinder on a whim.
Starting at 1st level, you learn additional spells when you reach certain levels in this class depending on your chosen element, as shown on the Elementalist Spells table. Each of these spells counts as a sorcerer spell for you, but it doesn't count against the number of sorcerer spells you know.
Whenever you gain a sorcerer level, you can replace one spell you gained from this feature with another spell of the same level. The new spell must be from the sorcerer spell list or a conjuration, evocation, or transmutation spell from the wizard spell list.
|Cloud of Daggers,
Snilloc's Snowball Storm
Wall of Fire
|Cone of Cold,
The arcane magic you command is infused with primal elements and words. You can speak, read, and write Primordial. Depending on your elemental focus, you also speak one dialect of primordial: Air: Auran, Earth: Terran, Fire: Ignan, and Water: Aquan.
Starting at 1st level, you can use a bonus action on your turn to cause whirling gusts of elemental energy to briefly surround you, immediately before or after you cast a sorcerer spell. Doing so allows you to fly up to 10 feet without provoking opportunity attacks.
Heart of Fury
At 6th level, you gain resistance to damage based on your element.
- Air: Lightning and thunder damage.
- Earth: Force and necrotic damage
- Fire: Fire and radiant damage
- Water: Acid and cold damage
Whenever you start casting a spell that deals damage of a type you have resistance against from this ability, elemental magic erupts from you. Spells that can deal such damage later but not on initial casting qualify for this ability. This eruption causes creatures of your choice that you can see within 10 feet of you to take damage of this type equal to your sorcerer level. If the spell cast deals both kinds of damage, choose one.
Guide the Elements
At 6th level, you gain the ability to control elements around you.
As a bonus action, you can control nearby elemental effects, depending on your chosen element. These effects move with you and last until the end of your next turn unless you renew them before that.
- Air: If it is windy, you can use a bonus action to choose the direction that the wind blows in a 100-foot-radius sphere centered on you. The wind blows in that direction until the end of your next turn. This feature doesn't alter the speed of the wind.
- Earth: As a bonus action you can cause difficult ground within 20 ft. caused by plants, sand, soft earth, gravel or rocks to stop being difficult ground.
- Fire: You can use a bonus action each round to alter the color of fire within 20 ft. of you and disperse smoke in the area.
- Water: As a bonus action can cause rain to start or stop falling or you can calm waves in a 100-foot-radius sphere centered on you.
As a reaction, you can redirect elemental forces away from allies within 10 ft. of you until the start of your next turn. This is an aura is centered on you and moves as you move. Allies within the aura gain the same resistances you gain from Heart of Fury.
When you cast a spell that mentions acid, cold, fire, force, lightning, necrotic, radiant, or thunder damage, you can change that damage to another type on this list.
Starting at 14th level, when you are hit by a melee attack, you can use your reaction to deal damage to the attacker. The damage equals your sorcerer level. Choose one of the types of damage you gained resistance to from the Heart of Fury ability, that is the type of damage inflicted. The attacker must also make a Strength saving throw against your sorcerer spell save DC. On a failed save, the attacker is pushed in a straight line up to 20 feet away from you. You decide the exact distance.
At 18th level, you gain immunity to the types of damage you gained resistance to from the Heart of Fury ability.
You also gain a type of movement depending on your element. As an action, you can reduce this movement speed to half for 1 hour and choose a number of creatures within 30 feet of you equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier. The chosen creatures also gain this halved movement speed for 1 hour. Once you reduce your speed in this way, you can't do so again until you finish a short or long rest.
- Air: You gain a magical flying speed of 60 feet.
- Earth: You gain a burrowing speed 30 ft.
- Fire: You gain a bonus of land speed by 30 ft.
- Water: You gain a swimming speed 100 ft. and Water Breathing. When you share this speed you also share Wather Breathing.
- Storm Sorcery - a previous version.