Untouchable Animist (Apath)
|Unofficial rules compendium|
Sometimes said to be living life backwards, an untouchable animist is an eternal outcast. Unlike a normal animist that has taboos that he needs to avoid, the untouchable animist gains power from things that are anathema—manifesting or seeking out what others avoid. The taboo animist is seen as disgusting, weird, or evil, but they are just as often kind-hearted individuals willing to help others and even save the very societies that made them outcasts.
Many untouchable animists are self-taught and found solace from bullying with an invisible friend, who tutored them and became their spirit guide.
The untouchable animist is a role-playing challenge. It is intended strictly for those who enjoy this role. Be aware that you'll be playing an outsider.
This is a animist archetype.
Hit Dice: d8.
The untouchable animist man has all animist class abilities, except as noted.
Add all summon monster spells to the untouchable animst's spell list. An untouchable animist always gains the latest summon monster as known spells as they gain access to a new spell level, in addition to summon nature's ally. These spells cannot be exchanged for different spells at higher levels.
The untouchable draws power from being able to break taboos and social rules in the society. By flaunting a rule or social more, the untouchable animist gains a +5 circumstance bonus on Intimidate checks against creatures of his own type (usually humanoid).
The untouchable animist is marked in some clear and obvious way, making all he meets aware of his position as an outcast. This can take many forms.
- The untouchable carries the scars of some horrible disease or affliction. Leprosy, elephantiasis, albinism, or psoriasis are all possible examples in their extreme forms. This condition is not contagious by exposure to the untouchable animist, but looks obviously unhealthy.
- The untouchable breaks social mores in a way society will not accept. Blatant cannibalism, homosexuality, nudism, sado-machochism, or transsexualism are possible examples. It is not the untouchable's behavior that is defining here, but society's reaction to it. Some cultures may ostracize an adult who simply refuses to marry, other cultures may accept all of the above and more and thus have few untouchables of this kind.
- The untouchable is "out of this world", speaking to invisible friends or staring into the distance in a blatant way common people find disquieting.
- The untouchable is associated with some horrible crime. The child of a mass-murderer or the widow of a deposed despot are examples of this.
- The untouchable is so saintly, demonic or otherwise magical that normal people cannot accept him. Such an untouchable animist may be surrounded by a magical aura, weird light and noise, or other minor magical effects.
Whatever the reason, this has the 1st level effect of the leper oracle curse. This replaces animist taboo.
Table: Untouchable Animist
| Base Attack
|Special||Spells per Day|
|1st||+0||+0||+0||+2||Allied monsters, allied spirits, detect spirits, exploit taboo, orisons, spirit guide, spirit channel 1d6, untouchable||3||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|3rd||+2||+1||+1||+3||Spirit protection, spirit channel 2d6||5||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|5th||+3||+1||+1||+4||See the unseen, spirit channel 3d6||6||4||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|7th||+5||+2||+2||+5||Seal spirit, spirit channel 4d6||6||6||4||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|9th||+6/+1||+3||+3||+6||Spirit channel 5d6, spirit quest||6||6||6||4||—||—||—||—||—|
|11th||+8/+3||+3||+3||+7||Banish spirit, spirit channel 6d6||6||6||6||6||4||—||—||—||—|
|12th||+9/+4||+4||+4||+8||Greater spirit protection||6||6||6||6||5||3||—||—||—|
|13th||+9/+4||+4||+4||+8||Guide concentration, spirit channel 7d6||6||6||6||6||6||4||—||—||—|
|15th||+11/+6/+1||+5||+5||+9||Guide walk, spirit channel 8d6||6||6||6||6||6||6||4||—||—|
|16th||+12/+7/+2||+5||+5||+10||Tie down spirits||6||6||6||6||6||6||5||3||—|
|17th||+12/+7/+2||+5||+5||+10||Spirit destination, spirit channel 9d6||6||6||6||6||6||6||6||4||—|
|19th||+14/+9/+4||+6||+6||+11||Ghost general, spirit channel 10d6||6||6||6||6||6||6||6||6||4|
An untouchable animist that is cured of his condition, moves to a locale where he is not an outcast, or otherwise gets around his untouchable limitation needs to adopt a taboo and hereafter functions as a normal animist. Some untouchable animists prefer to adopt new antisocial behaviors or even self-scarring to remain outcasts.
Summary of Changed Class Abilities
These abilities of the original class are lost or modified in this archetype:
- Animist Taboo
|The text in this article is Open Game Content. It is covered by the Open Game License v1.0a, rather than the Hastur copyright. To distinguish it, these items will have this notice. If you see any page that contains OGL material and does not show this license statement, please contact one of the Hastur administrators. Please note that images used in article may have different copyright than the text.|