Sanguine Angel (Apath)
|Unofficial rules compendium|
Sanguine angels are an order of agents dedicated to a ruler favored by Hell.
Sanguine angels are members of an infernal order championing an ally of hell, usually a devil-sponsored monarch. Sanguine angels are recruited, indoctrinated, and trained by infernal sponsors, devils that approach likely rulers with the offer to create a perfect honor guard. As impersonal agents of the ruler, the sanguine angel always wears full armor and helmets while on duty and to strangers all sanguine angels appear identical.
Recruitment to the sanguine angels is very demanding and often coercive. Likely candidates are identified, brought in, and indoctrinated into the precepts of the order. Applicants must match the requirements of the sponsoring ruler. This generally includes being of the same race as the ruler, of a specific gender, slightly above average in height, well built, and often with additional requirements such as ethnicity, religion, personality traits, or even quirks such as appearance or astrological sign.
Role: Sanguine angels are guardians of infernal order and direct agents of their ruler. They often guard creatures and location vital to the ruler, or act as the ruler's armored fist.
Alignment: Lawful neutral, lawful evil, or neutral evil only. A creature must fulfill the alignment restriction to pass the indoctrination. A sanguine angel that becomes good or chaotic in alignment loses all supernatural and spell-like class features. She can continue to progress in the class, but is likely to either be killed by the order or fall back into an allowed alignment by following orders.
Hit Die: d10.
These are all the class features of the sanguine angel.
The sanguine angel’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Fly (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (local) (Int), Knowledge (nobility) (Int), Perception (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), and Sense Motive (Wis).
Skill Ranks at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Sanguine angels are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, with all types of armor (heavy, medium, and light), and with all shields (including tower shields).
Favored Weapon and Armor
Each order of sanguine angels has a certain favored weapon and armor and focus on these in their training. This choice is not made by the individual sanguine angel, it is the same for all memeners of an order. The favored weapon is a simple or martial weapon of the sponsoring ruler's choice, often reflecting the ruler's heritage, ethnicity, or personal history. The most common weapons are ones associated with honor and order and that work for guards that have to operate both indoors and outdoors; the longsword, halberd, spear, light crossbow, and composite shortbow. The favored armor comes in two varieties; half plate and full plate. Which is issued to each sanguine angel is a matter of need and utility. The sanguine angel is lent a masterwork weapon and armor of these types. She is responsible for this equipment, and must pay for a new ones if lost. If it is broken or even destroyed, it is repaired or replaced at the order's expense as long as the remains are returned.
The sanguine angel gains abilities based on her fighting tradition. Whenever possible the order recruits warriors that already have some training and ability, even defeated, indoctrinated enemies. This means that seemingly identical sanguine angels can fight very differently. Choose one of the following fighting traditions, this choice cannot be changed. The sanguine angel gains a number of class features based on the fighting tradition they were brought up in. If the sanguine angel has levels in a class that gains these abilities, those abilities are lost, but class levels in such a class stacks with her sanguine angel level to determine the benefits.
- Cavalier: The sanguine angel gains the cavalier's challenge ability, as a cavalier of her class level.
- Fighter: The sanguine angel gains a bonus feat at 1st level, as the tyrant's discipline. The sanguine angel can learn fighter-only feats, count sanguine angel levels as fighter levels for feat prerequisites. The sanguine angel gains the fighter's weapon training class feature, gaining a weapon group at level 5, 9, 13, and 17. She must select the weapon group of her order's favored weapon as her first weapon group.
- Frenzy (Ex): The sanguine angel gains the following barbarian (or unchained barbarian) abilities at the indicated level: rage (1st level), greater rage (13th level), and mighty rage (17th level), as a barbarian of her sanguine angel level. The sanguine angel can rage for a number of rounds per day equal to 2 + her Constitution modifier. For each level after 1st she possesses, the sanguine angel can rage for 2 additional rounds per day. Unlike a barbarian, she does not gain a bonus on Will saves while in a rage. The sanguine angel cannot enter a rage for 1 minute after she ends her rage, and she cannot charge or run while under the effects of her rage. At 9th level, her rage turns into a cold killing frenzy. She takes no penalty to her AC, can use all her normal skills and effects that require concentration, and is not fatigued when her rage ends.
Hardened Heart (Ex)
Starting at 1st level, a sanguine angel gains a +1 bonus on Will saves against fear and charm effects. This bonus increases by +1 at level 5 and every four levels beyond 5th. Add twice this bonus to the DC of any Intimidation check against the sanguine angel.
A sanguine angel draws upon her indoctrination, tactical training, and devotion to the powers of Hell to develop potent talents. A sanguine angel selects a discipline from the following list at 2nd level and every 2 levels thereafter.
- Castling (Ex): When the sanguine angel takes a 5-foot step, she can step into the space of a willing, adjacent ally. If she does, that ally immediately takes a 5-foot step into the sanguine angel’s former space without spending an action to do so.
- Bonus Feat: The sanguine angel can choose a bonus feat as a tyrant's discipline. The feat must be from the combat feat category and the sanguine angel must fulfill all prerequisites. She can take this discipline multiple times, each time selecting a different bonus feat.
- Driving Assault (Ex): When making a full attack, the sanguine angel can take a –2 penalty on melee attack rolls until the end of her turn. If she does, the first time in that turn that she hits a creature of her size or smaller with a melee attack, she can attempt a bull rush combat maneuver check to push the creature back 5 feet. She gains a +2 bonus on this combat maneuver check and does not provoke attacks of opportunity when performing the bull rush, but regardless of the result, she cannot push the target further than 5 feet. If the sanguine angel pushes a creature in this way, she can immediately move into its former space without provoking attacks of opportunity.
- Eye of Mahulati (Su): The Illuminati of Illusion grants sanguine angels keen eyes to pierce all deception. The sanguine angel adds her hardened heart bonus on Will saves against illusions. In addition, once per day as a swift action, the sanguine angel can take 1d4 points of Charisma damage to gain the benefits of the true seeing spell for a number of rounds equal to her class level. The sanguine angel must be at least level 10 to pick this discipline.
- Furious Huntress (Ex): The sanguine angel adds her Strength bonus, rather than her Dexterity bonus, to attack rolls made with bows. The bonus from her challenge or rage class feature (from the fighting tradition ability) applies to attacks with bows.
- Hollowness of Dargoras (Ex): The gift of Our Lady of Pain is freedom—freedom from horror and pain, from sorrow and fear. The sanguine angel adds her hardened heart bonus on saving throws against emotion and pain effects, and she is immune to fear effects. The sanguine angel must be at least level 18 to pick this discipline.
- Kinslayer (Ex): The sanguine angel gains the ranger's favored enemy ability against her own type (and subtype, if she is a humanoid or outsider). If the sanguine angel already has the same favored enemy bonus from another class, her existing bonus instead increases by 2. She can select this benefit again at level 6 and every 6 levels thereafter, each time after the first increases the favored enemy bonus by 2 but does not grant any additional favored enemies.
- Maiden’s Shield (Ex): The sanguine angel is treated as if she had the Two-Weapon Fighting feat as long as she is using her order's favored weapon and a shield. This allows her to take feats that require Two-Weapon Fighting as a prerequisite without meeting the Two-Weapon Fighting or Dexterity prerequisites, but she benefits from such feats only when she’s wielding her order's favored weapon and shield.
- Merciless Massacre (Ex): When the sanguine angel hits a cowering or panicked creature with a melee attack or reduces a creature to negative hit points with a melee attack, as a swift action she can deal additional damage to that creature equal to 1d8 + her class level. This damage is of the same type as her melee attack. Additional damage is nor multiplied on a critical hit.
- Mystique of Lalu Or (Ex and Sp) Though most sanguine angels care little for seduction, this ability can grant them influence over others regardless. The sanguine angel gains a +4 bonus on Diplomacy and Intimidate checks against targets of the same creature type as the sanguine angel. Once per day, the sanguine angel can use dominate person as a spell-like ability (CL = her character level). The sanguine angel must be at least level 14 to pick this discipline.
- Rage Power: The sanguine angel can choose a rage power as a tyrant's discipline, counting sanguine angel levels as barbarian levels. She can take this discipline multiple times, each time selecting a different rage power. She cannot select totem powers or a rage power that affects an ability she does not have. The sanguine angel must have the frenzy fighting tradition to select this discipline. She can take this discipline multiple times, each time selecting a different rage power.
- Tactician (Ex): The sanguine angel receives a teamwork feat as a bonus feat. She must meet the prerequisites for this teamwork feat. As a standard action, the sanguine angel can grant this feat to all allies within 30 feet who can see and hear her. Allies retain the use of this bonus feat for 3 rounds plus 1 round for every two levels the sanguine angel possesses. Allies do not need to meet the prerequisites of these bonus feats. The sanguine angel can use this ability twice per day. At level 10, she can use this ability as a swift action. She can select this discipline again at level 6 and every 6 levels thereafter, each time after the first increases the number of daily uses by one and gives an additional tactical feat as a bonus feat (she can share all selected tactical feats with allies as a single action [as above]).
- Unyielding (Ex): While wearing the armor of her order, the sanguine angel gains DR 1/—. The sanguine angel must be at least level 6 to select this discipline. She can select this benefit again at level 10 and every 4 levels thereafter, with stacking benefits. This benefit stacks with damage reduction from other class abilities and adamantine armor.
Armored Angel (Ex)
Starting at 3rd level, a sanguine angel learns to be more maneuverable while wearing the distinctive armor of her order. Whenever she is wearing armor, she reduces the armor check penalty by 1 (to a minimum of 0) and increases the maximum Dexterity bonus allowed by her armor by 1. Every four levels thereafter (7th, 11th, and 15th), these bonuses increase by +1 each time, to a maximum –4 reduction of the armor check penalty and a +4 increase of the maximum Dexterity bonus allowed. In addition, the sanguine angel can move at her normal speed while wearing the half-plate of her order. At level 7, a sanguine angel can move at her normal speed while wearing the distinctive full plate of her order.
Favored Weapon Mastery (Ex)
At 19th level, sanguine angel becomes a master of her order's favored weapon. Any attacks made with order's favored weapons automatically confirm all critical threats and have their damage multiplier increased by one. In addition, she cannot be disarmed while wielding her order's favored weapon.
Angel of Uleth (Su)
The greatest sanguine angels earn the favor of the Erinyes Queen Uleth, who transforms them into infernal servitors. At 20th level, a sanguine angel’s type changes to outsider (evil, extraplanar, lawful), and Hell becomes her native plane. She gains fire resistance 30, telepathy with a range of 50 feet, and the see in darkness universal monster ability. Ebon-feathered wings emerge from the sanguine angel’s back, granting her a fly speed of 50 feet with good maneuverability. She gains Fly as a class skill.
Table: Sanguine Angel
|1st||+1||+2||+0||+0||Fighting tradition, hardened heart +1, favored weapon|
|3rd||+3||+3||+1||+1||Armored angel (+1)|
|5th||+5||+4||+1||+1||Hardened heart +2|
|7th||+7/+2||+5||+2||+2||Armored angel (+2, speed)|
|9th||+9/+4||+6||+3||+3||Hardened heart +3|
|11th||+11/+6/+1||+7||+3||+3||Armored angel (+3)|
|13th||+13/+8/+3||+8||+4||+4||Hardened heart +4|
|15th||+15/+10/+5||+9||+5||+5||Armored angel (+4)|
|17th||+17/+12/+7/+2||+10||+5||+5||Hardened heart +5|
|19th||+19/+14/+9/+4||+11||+6||+6||Favored weapon mastery|
|20th||+20/+15/+10/+5||+12||+6||+6||Angel of Uleth, tyrant's discipline|
Favored Class Bonuses
Instead of receiving an additional skill rank or hit point whenever they gain a level in a favored class, some races have the option of choosing from a number of other bonuses, depending upon their favored classes. The following options are available to each listed race. Unless otherwise stated the bonus applies each time you select the listed favored class reward. All these choices are available from level 1, even if they enhance an ability you only gain at a higher level. A favored race bonus that helps you qualify for a certain class ability means you get that particular class ability at an earlier level.
- Dwarf: Increase the bonus from the dwarf's stability by +1/4.
- Elf: Add +1 to the elf’s CMD when resisting a disarm or sunder attempt.
- Gnome: Choose the dirty trick or reposition combat maneuver. Add +1/2 to the gnome's CMB when attempting this maneuver (maximum bonus of +5).
- Half-Elf: Add +1 to the half-elf's CMD when resisting a disarm or overrun.
- Halfling: Add +1 to the halfling's CMD when resisting a grapple or trip attempt.
- Half-Orc: Add +1 to the half-orc's Constitution score for the purpose of determining death from negative hit points.
- Human: Gain 1/6 bonus feat the human fulfills the prerequisites for.
- Aasimar: Add +1/4 to the bonus gained from hardened heart.
- Android: Add +1/4 to the nanite surge bonus.
- Anpur: Gain a +1/4 bonus on saves against disease and fear.
- Avoodim: Add +1/3 to damage dealt to creatures with the outsider type.
- Catfolk: Add +1/2 on critical hit confirmation rolls made while using the favored weapon of her order (maximum bonus of +5). When the bonus reaches +5, the catfolk can continue to spend points, gaining a bonus on confirmation rolls with claws, kukri, longbow, longsword, short spear, and shortbow. This bonus does not stack with Critical Focus.
- Changeling: Add +1/2 ft. to the changeling's natural reach. Always round this down to the nearest multiple of 5 ft. The changeling can only use this with natural weapons, touch attacks, and her order's favored weapon.
- Dhampir: Add a +2 bonus on rolls to stabilize when dying.
- Dhosari: Increase Strength by 1/2, but only for the purpose of Strength checks (not Str-based skill checks) and carrying capacity.
- Dragonblood: Increase the dragonblood's natural armor bonus by +1/5.
- Drow: Choose the disarm or reposition combat maneuver. Add +1/2 to the drow's CMB when attempting this maneuver (maximum bonus of +5).
- Duergar: Choose one ranged weapon. Add +2 ft. to the range increment of that weapon. Round this down to the nearest increment of 5 ft.
- Erkunae: Gain a +1/2 bonus on Use Magic Device.
- Eventual: Add +1 to the eventual's CMD when resisting a bull rush, drag, and reposition attempt.
- Fetchling: Add +1 to the fetchling's CMD when resisting two combat maneuvers of the character’s choice.
- Gnoll: Add 2 ft. to speed when taking the charge, double move, and withdraw actions. Always round this down to the nearest increment of 5 ft.
- Goblin: Add a +1/3 bonus on damage rolls made before the target has acted in combat.
- Hobgoblin: Add +1/2 on critical hit confirmation rolls made while using the favored weapon of her order (maximum bonus of +5). When the bonus reaches +5, the hobgoblin can continue to spend points, gaining a bonus on confirmation rolls with another weapon of her choice. This bonus does not stack with Critical Focus.
- Ifrit: Add +1/4 points of fire damage to metal melee weapon attacks.
- Kitsune: Gain +1/3 bonus on Bluff checks to feint.
- Kobold: Choose an energy type: acid, cold, electricity, or fire. Gain energy resistance 1 against the selected damage type.
- Lizardfolk: Add +1/5 to the lizardfolk's natural armor bonus.
- Merfolk: Increase land speed by 2 ft. to a maximum of 20 ft. Thereafter, gain +1 ft. of climb speed. Always round speed down to the nearest increment of 5 ft.
- Nagaji: Add +1 to the nagaji's CMD when resisting a grapple or trip attempt.
- Orc: Gain +2 bonus to damage when at 0 or fewer current hit points.
- Orcam: Gain a +1/2 dodge bonus against attacks of opportunity triggered by leaving an enemy's threatened space.
- Oread: Add +1 to the oread's acid resistance.
- Polkan: Add 1 ft. of land speed. Always round this down to the nearest increment of 5 ft.
- Qit'ar: Gain +1/4 to saves vs. mind-affecting spells and effects, and poison.
- Ratfolk: Add +1 to the ratfolk's CMD when resisting a bull rush or grapple attempt.
- Samsaran: Add +1/4 to the bonus of given by the samsarans lifebound ability.
- Shibaten: Add +1/4 to Bluff and Intimidate checks.
- Strix: Add +1/4 to the attack roll bonus from the strix’s hatred racial trait.
- Sylph: Add +1 ft. to all of the speed of all types of movement the sylph have a speed with. Always round this down to the nearest increment of 5 ft.
- Tengu: Gain a +1/2 bonus on critical hit confirmation rolls made with the order's favored weapon (maximum bonus of +5). When the bonus reaches +5, the tengu can continue to spend points, gaining a bonus on confirmation rolls with all melee weapon listed under the tengu’s swordtrained ability. This bonus does not stack with those gained through Critical Focus and similar effects.
- Tiefling: Add 1/2 to the resistances gained from the tiefling's fiendish resistance ability.
- Undine: Add +1 ft. to the undines's swim speed. Always round this down to the nearest increment of 5 ft.
- Vanara: Add +1 to the vanara's CMD when resisting a reposition or trip attempt.
- Wayang: Add +1 to the wayang's CMD when resisting a dirty trick or steal attempt.
- Xesa: Add +1/4 to the Will save bonus against mind affecting effects gained from the xesa immunities racial trait.
- Zendiqi: Add +1/5 to the bonus from the infidel destroyers racial trait.
- Zif: Choose the dirty trick or grapple combat maneuver. Add +1/2 to the zif's CMB when attempting this maneuver (maximum bonus of +5).
|The text in this article is Open Game Content. It is covered by the Open Game License v1.0a, rather than the Hastur copyright. To distinguish it, these items will have this notice. If you see any page that contains OGL material and does not show this license statement, please contact one of the Hastur administrators. Please note that images used in article may have different copyright than the text.|
Section 15 Addendum
- System Reference Document © 2000, Wizards of the Coast, Inc.; Authors: Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams, based on material by E. Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson.
- Genie, Marid from the Tome of Horrors Complete © 2011, Necromancer Games, Inc., published and distributed by Frog God Games; Author: Scott Greene, based on original material by Gary Gygax.
- Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook © 2009, Paizo Inc.; Author: Jason Bulmahn, based on material by Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, and Skip Williams.
- Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Adventurer’s Guide © 2017, Paizo Inc.; Authors: Benjamin Bruck, John Compton, Crystal Frasier, Tim Hitchcock, Jenny Jarzabski, Isabelle Lee, Joe Pasini, Jessica Price, David Schwartz, and Josh Vogt.
- Lands of Porphyra © 2015, Purple Duck Games; Authors: Ken Austin, Thomas Baumbach, Carl Cramér, Daniel Denehy, Perry Fehr, Mark Gedak, August Hahn, Noble Hays, John Hazen, Sam Hing, Sean Holland, N. Jolly, Christopher Kaiser, James H. Lewis, Chris Longhurst, Liz Mackie, Josh McCrowell, Christopher Mennell, Scott Messer, Angel “ARMR” Miranda, Julian Neale, Daniel M. Perez, David Pryzbyla, Marc Radle, David N. Ross, Treyson Sanders, Justin Sluder, Todd Stewart, Stefen Styrsky, Mike Welham, Jeremy Whelan, Patricia Willenborg.