Mayaheine (Greyhawk Action)
Mayaheine is a goddess of the Common pantheon and something of a pelorite answer to the churches of St. Cuthbert and Bahamut. Mayaheine is more of a saint in the church of Pelor than a separate cult. She is an exarch of Pelor, a goddess of knights and the defender of civilized society.
Mayaheine (MY-ah-heen) is a recently ascended paladin of Pelor, brought here from another world to help fight the powers of darkness and evil. She is portrayed as a strikingly tall woman with blue eyes and auburn gold hair, dressed for battle. Her shield, Hope's Champion, turns back evil magic upon its source, and her bastard sword Triumph stuns fiends and tyrants with a touch. Her holy symbol is a shield with a bastard sword, sunburst, two golden sphere and two victory runes. While she is fine warrior, she is above all a protector.
Protect those who need it. For good to survive it is necessary to defend the weak and innocent. Bravery, strength of mind, and perseverance in times of hardship or danger are virtues, and adherence to the concepts of justice, fairness, and righteousness are essential. Obedience to Pelor the Sun Father is as important as devotion to the Shield Maiden. Just as Mayaheine traveled a long way to aid our world, it may be necessary for the faithful to travel far to uphold her word.
Clerics of Mayaheine train themselves and others in self-defense. They help build town walls and other protective constructions; many take roles as community leaders, their devotion to justice and good making them excellent judges. They travel to prove their bravery, right wrongs, and to destroy strongholds of evil. This faith sponsors many paladins and is friendly with paladins of other faiths as well. They are always respectful of clerics of Pelor, for their religion wouldn't exist on Oerth if it weren't for him.
Alignment: Lawful Good
Weapon: Bastard Sword
Good, Glory (Honor), Law (Archon), Protection, War.
Hold your sword in front of you and hang a holy symbol of Pelor from it. Kneel while focusing on the holy symbol, pray for guidance and protection from the Inheritor, and swear to follow her teachings. Gain a +2 sacred bonus Will saving throws.
- Courageous (Sp) remove fear 3/day, blessing of courage and lifeAPG 2/day, or heroism 1/day
- Demon-Feared Caster (Ex) You are used to fighting the forces of evil. You gain a sacred bonus equal to 1 + 1 for every 4 Hit Dice you possess (maximum +6) on caster level checks to overcome the spell resistance of outsiders with the chaotic or evil subtypes. These bonuses stack against outsiders who are both chaotic and evil (maximum +12) . If you don’t have the ability to cast spells, you instead gain the ability to use protection from chaos/evil as a spell-like ability three times per day.
- Wrath of the Inheritor (Su) Three times per day, you can call upon Mayahine during the casting of a spell to increase its potency. When you use this ability, you can cast any spell that deals hit point damage and has a casting time of 1 standard action as a full-round action instead. Doing so changes half the damage dealt to divine power, similar to a flame strike spell. For example, a wizard 5/evangelist 9 casts a lightning bolt as a full-round action. The spell deals 10d6 points of damage, half of which is electricity damage and the other half of which is divine energy and not subject to electricity resistance. If you can’t cast spells that deal hit point damage, you instead gain the ability to imbue your weapon with holy power. Three times per day as a free action, you can grant your weapon the holy weapon special ability for 1 minute.
- Glorious Servant (Sp) shield of faith 3/day, enthrall 2/day, or searing light 1/day
- Righteous Strike (Sp) Once per day, you can channel the effects of holy smite through your weapon. You must declare your use of this ability before you roll your attack. On a hit, the target is affected as if targeted with holy smite.
- Just Ally (Sp) Once per day as a standard action, you can summon a shield archon. The shield archon follows your commands perfectly for 1 minute for every Hit Die you possess before vanishing back to its home in Heaven. The shield archon doesn’t follow commands that would violate its alignment, however, and particularly egregious commands could cause it to attack you.
- Knight of Valor (Sp) bless weapon 3/day, bull’s strength 2/day, or magic vestment 1/day
- Valorous Smite (Su) If you have the smite evil class feature, you gain an extra use of that ability per day. You add the levels of sentinel to your paladin levels when calculating the extra damage dealt by your smite. If you successfully deal damage with your smite, your target must succeed at a Will saving throw (with a DC equal to 10 + your Charisma modifier + 1/2 your Hit Dice) or be stunned for 1 round plus 1 round for every 4 Hit Dice you possess (maximum 6 rounds). Once a target saves against this stunning effect, it is immune to the stunning effect from your holy smite for 24 hours.
If you don’t have the smite evil class feature, instead you can, as a free action, single out an outsider with the evil subtype or an evil-aligned dragon you plan to vanquish. Against this target, you gain a +2 sacred bonus on attack rolls and a sacred bonus equal to your sentinel level on damage rolls. The bonuses remain until the target is dead or you use this ability again, whichever comes first. If you choose a target that is not one of the listed creature types, the ability is wasted. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to your Charisma bonus (minimum once per day).
- Banishing Strike (Sp) Once per day, you can channel the effects of banishment through your weapon, though you don’t need to cast (or even know) the spell. You must declare your use of this ability before you roll your attack. On a hit, the target is affected by a banishment effect. If you openly wear a holy symbol of Mayahine, you gain a +1 bonus on your caster level check to overcome the target’s spell resistance (if any) and the saving throw DC increases by 2.
The paladins of Mayahine are just and strong, crusaders who live to defend the lands of the sun. Their mission is to bring light and eliminate evil at its root. They serve as examples to others, and their code demands they protect the weak and innocent by eliminating sources of oppression, rather than merely the symptoms. They may back down or withdraw from a fight if they are overmatched, but if their lives will buy time for others to escape, they must give them. Their tenets include the following affirmations.
- My heart is like the sun. Without my heart to guide it, my sword is worthless—my strength is not in my sword, but in my heart. If I lose my sword, I have lost a tool. If I betray my heart, I have died.
- I will have faith in the Inheritor. I will channel her strength through my body. I will shine in her legion, and I will not tarnish her glory through base actions.
- I carry the sun's honor. I will always protect the faithful of Pelor, and bow to their judgement in civil matters.
- I will make sure of a good defense before I attack. Once in a fight, I am at the forefront of any position, and the last to retreat.
- I will not be taken prisoner by my free will. I will not surrender those under my command.
- I will never abandon a companion, though I will honor sacrifice freely given.
- I will guard the honor of my fellows, both in thought and deed, and I will have faith in them.
- When in doubt, I may force my enemies to surrender, but I am responsible for their lives.
- I will suffer death before dishonor.
- I will be forthright in my actions and proud in my behavior. I will strive to emulate Mayahine’s perfection.