Hell Knight Signifier (Apath)
|Unofficial rules compendium|
Hell knight signifiers are the spiritual arm of the hell knight orders, magical disciplinarians extraordinaire.
Hell knight signifiers form the spellcasting arm of the hell knight orders. They serve as faceless enforcers of order and use their magical powers to relentlessly root out and punish criminals to the letter of the law. They wear masks— often featureless—to mark themselves as impersonal agents of order, unswayed by empathy, detached from emotion, and dedicated to passing impartial judgment upon all lawbreakers. A signifier’s distinctive mask is a symbol of her devotion to the precepts of law and exacting justice, and it serves as the focus for several of her signifier powers.
Traditionally, signifiers are divine spellcasters. Despite trends toward diabolism, overall a signifier's views of good and evil are defined by her hell knight order first and everything else second. Arcane and psychic signifiers are more rare, but possible. These are often converts to the hell knight orders and, like many converts, even more zealous than their divine brethren.
Hell Knight Signifiers Of Porphyra
Many signifiers provide magical support to hell knights, but signifiers do more than that. Many act as emissaries and enforcers of law in distant lands, a role similar to the inquisitor. Able to both find lawbreakers and sway crowds with their magic, signifiers often act as advance scouts and emissaries for the hell knight orders.
Role: Hell knight signifiers are powerful spellcasters and agents of law.
Alignment: Lawful neutral or lawful evil only. A hell knight signifier that changes to a non-lawful alignment cannot progress in the class, but keeps all abilities granted by the class. She is likely to return to an allowed alignment by following orders or be executed as a traitor. Lawful good members of hell knight orders are possible, but a player character cannot enter an order with this alignment and duties makes it hard to gain a good alignment.
Hit Die: d10.
The hell knight signifier’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (all) (Int), Linguistics (Int), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), and Swim (Str).
Skill Ranks at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.
These are all the class features of the hell knight signifier.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Hell knight signifiers are proficient with all simple weapons, with the favored weapon(s) of her order (see below), with all types of armor (heavy, medium, and light), and with shields (not including tower shields). A signifier that casts arcane spells suffers arcane spell failure when wearing armor.
Aura of Law (Ex)
A hell knight signifier’s lawful aura (see detect law) functions as that of a cleric of a level equal to the hell knight signifier’s class level. If the hell knight signifier is a devil worshiper or worships a lawful evil patron, this aura changes to one of law and evil.
A hell knight signifier that casts divine spells selects one cleric domain among those offered by her patron. She gains the domain abilities of this domain as a cleric of her signifier level. She does not have domain spell slots. Instead she adds the domain spells to her spell list (and to her list of known spells if she is of the oracle magic tradition). Hell knight signifiers that do not cast divine spells do not gain domain powers from the divine domain, but if they are spontaneous casters they do get the use of domain spells, see magic tradition below. If the signifier gains a domain from another class, like cleric or inquisitor, she must select the same domain, and her levels in such classes stack when using this domain.
A hell knight signifier must select one of the following magic traditions at level 1. This choice can never be changed. She learns and casts spells exactly like the chosen class, including type of magic (arcane, divine, or psychic), the effect of ability scores on spellcasting, spellbook or known spells, and cantrips, knacks, or orisons. She only suffers arcane spell failure in armor if she casts arcane spells.
If a signifier has levels in the same spellcasting class as her magic tradition, the spellcasting abilities and any abilities described for the tradition stacks.
In addition, certain magic traditions give the signifier additional abilities or has special rules, listed under each class.
- Arcanist: As an arcane caster, the arcanist signifier suffers from arcane spell failure and does not gain the divine domain ability.
- Cleric: No special rules.
- Oracle: The oracle signifier gains Eschew Materials as a bonus feat at level 1. In addition to domain spells, she automatically adds all spells on her spell list with "inflict" in the name to her list of known spells as soon as she can cast spells of each spell's level.
- Psychic: A psychic signifier does gain an divine domain, but no domain powers. She adds the domain spells of her chosen domain to her list of known spells as soon as she can cast spells of this level. These spells are psychic spells for the psychic signifier.
- Sacerdote: The sacerdote signifier gains the advanced spellcasting, bonus languages, chaotic evil good and lawful spells, divine focus, divine wrath, and manifestation class features of the sacerdote. Sacerdote signifiers suffer from arcane spell failure and do not gain the divine domain ability, just as if they were arcane casters. This class is from Legendary Classes: Sacerdote, also by Purple Duck Games.
- Sorcerer: The sorcerer signifier gains Eschew Materials as a bonus feat at level 1. As an arcane caster, the sorcerer signifier suffers from arcane spell failure. She does gain an divine domain, but no domain powers. She adds the domain spells of her chosen domain to her list of known spells as soon as she can cast spells of this level. These spells are arcane spells for the sorcerer signifier.
- Wizard: As an arcane caster, the wizard signifier suffers from arcane spell failure and does not gain the divine domain ability.
A signifier chooses an hell knight order to join at 1st level. The most common hell knight orders (and their favored weapon or weapons) are: Chain (flail), Gate (dagger), Nail (halberd and lance), Pentacle (morningstar), Pyre (glaive), Rack (longsword and whip), and Scourge (heavy mace and whip). The order selected also gives access to that order's special discipline. See the hell knight orders chapter for details on hell knight orders.
Spells of Law (Ex)
A hell knight signifier cannot learn or cast spells with the chaotic descriptor. This includes summon and calling spells used to summon or call creatures of the chaotic subtype. A hell knight signifier who has an evil patron likewise cannot cast spells with the good descriptor.
Signifier Mask (Su)
At level 2, the hell knight signifier receives the mask of her order. This is a severe iron mask, often devoid of eyeholes and identifying features. This mask doesn’t obscure the signifier's vision, and while wearing it she gains a +2 competence bonus on Sense Motive checks and on saving throws against spells and abilities that rely on visual effects. It also works as a divine focus.
The signifier's mask takes up the head slot. If a signifier attempts to cast a spell without her signifier mask worn or in hand, she must make a concentration check or lose the spell. The DC for this check is equal to 20 + the spell’s level.
A signifier mask can be used once per day to cast any one spell on the signifier's spell list of a spell level she is capable of casting, even if the spell is not prepared, known, or in the signifier's spell book. This spell is treated like any other spell cast by the signifier, including casting time, duration, and other effects dependent on the signifier’s level. This spell cannot be modified by metamagic feats or other abilities.
A signifier can add additional magic abilities to her signifier mask as if she had the Craft Wondrous Items feat. The magic properties of a signifier mask, including any magic abilities added to the object, only function for the signifier who owns it.
If a signifier mask is damaged, it is restored to full hit points the next time the signifier prepares her spells. If the signifier mask is lost or destroyed, it can be replaced after 1 week in a special ritual that costs 200 gp per signifier level. This ritual takes 8 hours to complete. Items replaced in this way do not possess any of the additional enchantments of the previous signifier mask.
Signifier Armor Training (Ex)
At 4th level, when a hell knight signifier wears armor, she reduces the armor check penalty by 1 (to a minimum of 0), and reduces the arcane spell failure chance by 5%. For every 6 levels after level 4, reduce the armor check penalty by 1 and the arcane spell failure chance by 5%. At 4th level, when a hell knight order signifier's speed is not reduced by wearing medium armor. At 10th level, when a hell knight order signifier's speed is not reduced by wearing heavy armor.
At 6th level and every 6 levels thereafter, an hell knight order signifier gains an assiduous gaze ability chosen from the list below. Activating an assiduous gaze is a swift action that expends a point from the signifier's discipline pool and has an immediate effect to examine a single creature, object, or 5-foot square within 30 feet. A hell knight order signifier must be wearing her signifier mask to use these abilities, and her caster level while using the ability is equal to her character level.
- Elucidation (Su): The hell knight order signifier can discern each active spell on the target, including the spell’s effect and caster level.
- Morality (Sp): The hell knight order signifier can determine whether the target is chaotic, evil, good, or lawful, as well as the strength of its aura as if she had studied it for 3 rounds using detect chaos, detect evil, detect good, and detect law. The signifier is never stunned by what she discovers.
- Scrutiny (Su): The hell knight order signifier can discern whether the target has spell-like abilities or spellcasting abilities; whether any spellcasting abilities are arcane, divine, or psychic; and the strength (see detect magic) of the most powerful spell or spell-like ability the target currently has available.
- Veracity (Sp): The hell knight order signifier can observe the target as if using true seeing. A hell knight order signifier must be 12th level to select this ability.
- Vigilance (Su): The hell knight order signifier can see through up to 5 feet of stone, wood, or similar barriers as if they didn’t exist. This effect cannot penetrate metal of any kind.
Discipline Pool (Su)
At 6th level a hell knight signifier draws upon her training and devotion to develop a discipline pool and potent disciplines.
The hell knight signifier gains a discipline pool that reflects her devotion and zeal. This pool has a number of points equal to the hell knight signifier's class level. When the signifier casts a spell, she can expend one point from her discipline pool to give the spell the lawful descriptor. This also increases the caster level of the spell by one. The discipline pool is also used to power many disciplines.
A hell knight signifier selects a discipline at 8th level and every 5 levels thereafter. When applicable, the save DC to resist a discipline’s effect is equal to 10 + 1/2 the hell knight signifier’s level + her Charisma modifier.
There are special order disciplines that are specific to each order,. These disciplines are learned like other disciplines but are only available to signifiers of that particular order. Signifiers of the order of the pentacle do not have access to the special discipline of their order.
- Brand (Sp; Order of the Pyre): By expending a point from her discipline pool, the hell knight signifier can use [i]mark of justice as a spell-like ability against a helpless or willing creature. At level 13, she can use it as a melee touch attack.
- Censor (Su; Order of the Rack): When the hell knight signifier damages an enemy, she can use one point of her discipline pool to strike the creature mute for 1d4 rounds unless it makes a successful Will save. A mute creature cannot speak, nor can it cast spells that have verbal components or use language-dependent effects.
- Discern Lies (Sp): The hell knight signifier can expend a point from her discipline pool to use discern lies as a spell-like ability, with a caster level equal to her character level. The hell knight signifier must be level 8 to select this discipline.
- Fearsomeness (Ex): The knight of hell knight signifier order can expend a point from her discipline pool to activate fearsomeness until the end of her turn. When she uses the Intimidate skill to cause a creature within 10 feet to become shaken, targets become frightened for half of that duration (minimum 0 rounds).
- Infernal Identity (Ex): As long as she wears the signifier mask, the hell knight signifier gains a +2 bonus on all Charisma checks and Charisma-related skill checks made while interacting with creatures of lawful alignment.
- Infernal Resilience (Ex): The hell knight signifier order signifier gains DR 5/chaotic and becomes immune to poison. She must be 14th level to select this discipline.
- Onslaught (Su; Order of the Nail): By expending a point from her discipline pool, the hell knight signifier increases her base speed by +10 feet and gains a +4 bonus to her Strength for 1 round. If the hell knight signifier is mounted, these bonuses also apply to her mount.
- Shackle (Su; Order of the Chain): When the hell knight signifier damages an enemy, she can use one point of her discipline pool to impede its mobility. The creature can negate this effect with a Will save; otherwise, it is affected as if by a slow spell for 1d4 rounds.
- Studious (Ex): The hell knight signifier gains a number of skill ranks in the Knowledge skill favored by her order (see the knight of hell knight signifier order prestige archetype for details) equal to her Hit Dice. Any skill ranks she previously had in this skill are moved to other Knowledge skills of the signifier's choice.
- Summon Devil (Sp; Order of the Gate): The hell knight signifier may expend one point from her discipline pool to use summon monster V as a spell-like ability to summon 1 bearded devil. At 11th level, this spell-like ability is replaced by summon monster VI, allowing her to summon 1d3 bearded devils, or 1 erinyes. At 14th level, this spell-like ability is replaced by summon monster VII, allowing her to summon 1d4+1 bearded devils, 1d3 erinyes, or 1 bone devil. At 17th level, this spell-like ability is replaced by summon monster VIII, allowing her to summon 1d4+1 erinyes, 1d3 bone devils, or 1 barbed devil. At 20th level, this spell-like ability is replaced by summon monster IX, allowing her to summon 1d4+1 bone devils, 1d3 barbed devils, or one ice devil. This ability is lawful and evil.
- Tactician (Ex): The hell knight signifier receives a teamwork feat as a bonus feat. She must meet the prerequisites for this feat. As a standard action that costs one point from her discipline pool, the hell knight signifier can grant this feat to all allies within 30 feet who can see and hear her. Allies retain the use of this bonus feat for 3 rounds plus 1 round for every two levels the hell knight signifier possesses. Allies do not need to meet the prerequisites of these bonus feats. At level 10, she can use this ability as a swift action. She can select this benefit again at level 6 and every 6 levels thereafter, each time after the first gives an additional tactical feat as a bonus feat (as above).
- Tracker (Sp): The hell knight signifier can expend one point from her discipline pool to summon a creature to aid her, either in battle or to track an enemy, as if using a summon monster spell, save that the summoned creature lingers for 1 hour before vanishing. All animals summoned this way have the fiendish template. The hell knight signifier can summon either a dire rat, a dog, an eagle, or a pony (horse). This is the equivalent of a 3rd level spell. The hell knight signifier must be 6th level to select this discipline. An 8th-level hell knight signifier can summon either an a horse, a riding dog, a wolf, or a leopard. This is the equivalent of a 4th level spell. An 11th-level hell knight signifier can summon either a dire wolf or a hell hound. This is the equivalent of a 5th level spell. A 14th-level hell knight signifier can instead opt to summon a pack of 1d4+1 riding dogs or wolves or a single cerberus or dire bat. This is the equivalent of a 6th level spell. A 17th-level hell knight signifier can summon either a pack of 1d4+1 dire wolves or hell hounds, or a single dire lion or shadow mastiff. This is the equivalent of a 7th level spell. A 20th-level hell knight signifier can instead opt to summon a pack of 1d4+1 cerberi or dire bats, or a single dire tiger or invisible stalker. This is the equivalent of a 8th level spell.
- Vigilance (Su; Order of the Scourge): The hell knight signifier gains low-light vision (this effect is constant). In addition, as a full-round action, the hell knight signifier can spend one point from her discipline pool to see through up to 5 feet of stone, wood, or similar barriers as if they didn’t exist. Metal or denser barriers (hardness 10 or more) block this effect. Each use of this ability lasts as long as the hell knight signifier concentrates, up to a number of rounds equal to the hell knight signifier’s level.
- Wrack (Su): When the hell knight signifier damages a foe, she can expend one point of discipline to cause the target to suffer incredible pain. The target must make a Will save to avoid being staggered for 1d4 rounds.
Diabolic Harbinger (Su)
At 20th level, as long as a hell knight order signifier wears her signifier mask, she gains telepathy with a range of 100 feet and can see perfectly in both magical and mundane darkness. While wearing her signifier mask, she is immune to blindness and dazzling effects.
Table: Hell Knight Signifier
|Special|| Spells |
|1st||+0||+0||+0||+2||Aura of law, divine domain, magic tradition, signifier order, spells of law||See text|
|2nd||+1||+0||+0||+3||Signifier mask||See text|
|4th||+3||+1||+1||+4||Signifier armor training 1 (medium)||See text|
|6th||+4||+2||+2||+5||Assiduous gaze, discipline pool||See text|
|10th||+7/+2||+3||+3||+7||Signifier armor training 2 (heavy)||See text|
|12th||+9/+4||+4||+4||+8||Assiduous gaze||See text|
|16th||+12/+7/+2||+5||+5||+10||Signifier armor training 3||See text|
|18th||+13/+8/+3||+6||+6||+11||Assiduous gaze||See text|
|20th||+15/+10/+5||+6||+6||+12||Diabolic harbinger, discipline||See text|
Favored Class Bonuses
Instead of receiving an additional skill rank or hit point whenever they gain a level in a favored class, some races have the option of choosing from a number of other bonuses, depending upon their favored classes. The following options are available to each listed race. Unless otherwise stated the bonus applies each time you select the listed favored class reward. All these choices are available from level 1, even if they enhance an ability you only gain at a higher level. A favored race bonus that helps you qualify for a certain class ability means you get that particular class ability at an earlier level.
- Dwarf: Add 1/2 point to the signifier's discipline pool.
- Elf: Gain 1/8 additional assiduous gaze.
- Gnome: Add 1/2 spell from the magic domain to your class spell list and to your spellbook or list of spells known, beginning with level 1 and working up.
- Half-Elf: When casting enchantment spells, add +1/3 to the effective caster level of the spell, but only to determine the spell’s duration.
- Half-Orc: Add a +1 bonus on concentration checks made due to taking damage while casting spells.
- Halfling : Add +1/2 dodge bonus to your AC against attacks of opportunity triggered by casting spells.
- Human: Pick any one domain you do not know, this choice cannot be changed. Add 1/2 spell from this domain to your class spell list and to your spellbook or list of spells known, beginning with level 1 and working up.
- Aasimar: Add 3 ft. to the range of the aasimar's darkvision. Always round this down to the nearest increment of 5 ft.
- Anpur: Add 1/2 spell from the law domain to your class spell list and to your spellbook or list of spells known, beginning with level 1 and working up.
- Avoodim: Add 1/2 spell from the death domain to your class spell list and to your spellbook or list of spells known, beginning with level 1 and working up.
- Dhosari: Gain 1/5 bonus feat selected from dhosari racial feats.
- Dragonblood: Increase the bonus from the dragon magic racial trait by 1/6.
- Drow: Reduce the chance of arcane spell failure for wearing armor by 1% and armor check penalty by 1/6.
- Erkunae: Reduce the chance of arcane spell failure for wearing armor by 2%.
- Eventual: Gain +1/6 caster level when casting spells with the Lawful descriptor.
- Hobgoblin: +1/2 to Concentration checks to cast spell defensively.
- Ifrit: Add 1/2 spell from the fire domain to your class spell list and to your spellbook or list of spells known, beginning with level 1 and working up.
- Kitsune: Add 1/2 spell from the charm domain to your class spell list and to your spellbook or list of spells known, beginning with level 1 and working up.
- Kobold Add 1/2 spell from the scalykind domain to your class spell list and to your spellbook or list of spells known, beginning with level 1 and working up.
- Orc: Gain +1 bonus to damage when at 0 or fewer current hit points.
- Oread: Add 1/2 spell from the earth domain to your class spell list and to your spellbook or list of spells known, beginning with level 1 and working up.
- Samsaran: +1/4 on Perception and Sense Motive checks.
- Shibaten: Add 1 ft. to the range of the fearsomeness discipline. Always round this down to the closest increment of 5 ft.
- Strix: Add a +1 ft. to the range of the strix's darkvision. Always round this down to the nearest increment of 5 ft.
- Sylph: Add 1/2 spell from the air domain to your class spell list and to your spellbook or list of spells known, beginning with level 1 and working up.
- Tengu Learn 3 additional languages.
- Tiefling: Add 2 to the strength of your alignment aura. A powerful aura can stun those who detect it, see detect evil.
- Undine: Add 1/2 spell from the water domain to your class spell list and to your spellbook or list of spells known, beginning with level 1 and working up.
|The text in this article is Open Game Content. It is covered by the Open Game License v1.0a, rather than the Hastur copyright. To distinguish it, these items will have this notice. If you see any page that contains OGL material and does not show this license statement, please contact one of the Hastur administrators. Please note that images used in article may have different copyright than the text.|
Section 15 Addendum
- System Reference Document © 2000, Wizards of the Coast, Inc.; Authors: Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams, based on material by E. Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson.
- Genie, Marid from the Tome of Horrors Complete © 2011, Necromancer Games, Inc., published and distributed by Frog God Games; Author: Scott Greene, based on original material by Gary Gygax.
- Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook © 2009, Paizo Inc.; Author: Jason Bulmahn, based on material by Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, and Skip Williams.
- Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Adventurer’s Guide © 2017, Paizo Inc.; Authors: Benjamin Bruck, John Compton, Crystal Frasier, Tim Hitchcock, Jenny Jarzabski, Isabelle Lee, Joe Pasini, Jessica Price, David Schwartz, and Josh Vogt.
- Lands of Porphyra © 2015, Purple Duck Games; Authors: Ken Austin, Thomas Baumbach, Carl Cramér, Daniel Denehy, Perry Fehr, Mark Gedak, August Hahn, Noble Hays, John Hazen, Sam Hing, Sean Holland, N. Jolly, Christopher Kaiser, James H. Lewis, Chris Longhurst, Liz Mackie, Josh McCrowell, Christopher Mennell, Scott Messer, Angel “ARMR” Miranda, Julian Neale, Daniel M. Perez, David Pryzbyla, Marc Radle, David N. Ross, Treyson Sanders, Justin Sluder, Todd Stewart, Stefen Styrsky, Mike Welham, Jeremy Whelan, Patricia Willenborg.