Genie Rider (Apath)
Cavaliers that ride of genie-blessed horses.
A genie rider bonds with a mount blessed by the genies. It is said that one who dares the desert alone is tested by the genies, and those who pass are blessed with a steed of elemental prowess. An genie rider’s bond with her genie-blessed mount is even closer than the partnership nomads share with their horses, and her human compatriots fight with extra ferocity, knowing that they have a tireless protector.
Genie riders sometimes leave their tribe to become mercenaries or adventurers, and it is from such genie riders that the teachings of this prestige archetype are usually spread to outsiders (much to traditionalists’ chagrin).
Genie Riders on Porphyra
On Porphyra most genie riders hail from the Siwathi Desert or Wastes of Simoon and are fervent elementalists, defenders of their culture and hostile to deists everywhere. Entire tribes seek to bring up their young warriors in the noble tradition of the genie rider. Most Siwathi genie riders are Zendiqi, but elemental-kin are also common. A few genie riders exist in any area of plains or desert, such as the Lotus Blossom Steppes, Hinterlands of Kesh, and Parl Pradesh, but these are exceptional individuals, each of whom made their own alliance with the genies. Such individuals are not necessarily devoted to the elementalist cause, but often come under suspicion from deists.
Publisher: Purple Duck Games.
Alignment: Any. Tribal genie riders are fanatically devoted to their people, but can have any alignment. Those who live outside of the tribal structure often have chaotic alignments, abandoning all social relations except for a small band of followers.
Hit Dice: d10.
Starting Wealth: 5d6 × 10 gp (average 175gp.) In addition, each character begins play with an outfit worth 10 gp or less.
The genie rider’s class skills are Bluff (Cha), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Knowledge (nobility) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Perception (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), and Survival (Wis).
Skill Ranks at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.
The following are class features of the genie rider.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency
An genie rider is proficient with simple weapons, martial weapons, and all forms of armor and shields (except tower shields).
An genie rider is skilled at forging those who battle by her side into a loyal and well-coordinated team and exhorting them to fight bravely. The genie rider can use the assist other action to help any ally within 30 feet and the bonus she gives (normally +2) increases by 1. At 7th level, the bonus instead increases to 2, and at 14th level, it increases to 3. This is a sonic, language-dependent effect.
Once per day, a genie rider can challenge a foe to combat. As a swift action, the genie rider chooses one target within sight to challenge. The genie rider’s attacks deal extra damage whenever the attacks are made against the target of her challenge. This extra damage is equal to the genie rider’s level. The genie rider can use this ability once per day at 1st level, plus one additional time per day for every three levels beyond 1st, to a maximum of seven times per day at 19th level. The challenge remains in effect until the target is dead or unconscious or until the next day.
Genie Mount (Ex)
An genie rider gains a horse as a loyal steed. This mount functions as a druid’s animal companion, using the genie rider’s level as his effective druid level. A Medium genie rider gets a horse. A Small genie rider gets a pony. The GM might mandate other animals as mounts depending on the setting. A genie rider does not take an armor check penalty on Ride checks while riding his mount. The mount is always considered combat trained and begins play with Light Armor Proficiency as a bonus feat. If the mount dies or is freed by the genie rider, she must enter the desert to find a new mount, a process that takes one week. Such a new mount gains all abilities the previous mount gained from the class, including favored class abilities.
Flank Breaker (Ex)
At 2nd level, when an genie rider successfully damages a foe, that foe is unable to flank or provide flanking for any creature for 1 round.
Controlled Charge (Ex)
At 3rd level, an genie rider learns to attack with greater accuracy from the back of a charging mount. She and her mount gains a +4 bonus on melee attacks on a charge while mounted (instead of the normal +2) and does not take a penalty to their AC after making a charge attack while mounted.
At 4th level, and every four levels thereafter, the genie rider's mount receives the blessing of one of the genie tribes. At each occasion, choose one of the following benefits:
Djinni’s Blessing (Su/Sp): The blessing of the dinni makes the mount swift and sure-footed. At 4th level the mounts speed increases by 10 feet. When the genie rider reaches 8th level and every 4 levels thereafter, her mount’s speed increases by an additional 10 feet, to a maximum bonus of +50 ft. at 20th level. At 8th level the mount gains gets a +10 enhancement bonus on Acrobatics checks. At 12th level the mount gains constant feather step. At 16th level the enhancement bonus on Acrobatics checks increases to +20. At 20th level, the mount gains constant air walk.
Efreeti’s Blessing (Su/Sp): The effreti's blessing makes the mount a fiery terror. At 4th level the mount gains constant endure elements (sp). At 8th level it gains fire resistance equal to the genie rider's class level. At 12th level, the mount deals an additional 1d6 points of fire damage with its bite. At 16th level it becomes immune to fire. At 20th level it deals an additional 1d6 points of fire damage with each of its natural attacks, including trample.
Janni’s Blessing (Su/Sp): The janni's blessing is one of mirage and mind. At 4th level, the genie mount gains a +1 enchantment bonus on all saving throws. At 8th level, the rider can change the mount's appearance at will to that of another animal, as disguise self. At 12th level, the genie rider gains a +1 enchantment bonus on all saving throws. At 16th level, the genie rider can disguise her mount and any riders' appearance at will, as disguise self. At 20th level, when an genie rider fails a d20 to resolve an attack, saving throw, or skill check, she can roll again and choose the better result. The genie rider can use this ability once per day for her mount and once per day for herself when she is mounted.
Marid’s Blessing (Su/Sp): The blessing of the marids makes the mount an agile partner with flowing grace. At 4th level, Anyone riding the mount without a saddle does not take a penalty on Ride checks or need to attempt concentration checks because of the mount’s movement. At 8th level the mount does not leave tracks or stir up dust; it can use the genie rider's Stealth modifier instead of its own. At 12th level the mount gains a +2 racial bonus on Reflex saves. At 16th level the mount gains a swim speed equal to its land speed. At 20th level the mount gains the water subtype, and anyone riding it gains water breathing (sp) while riding and then for the spell's normal duration.
Shaitan’s Blessing (Su): When the mount receives the blessing of the shaitans, it becomes hardier than the toughest camel. At 4th level it doesn’t take movement penalties from wearing armor and gains proficiency with medium armor. At 8th level it gains proficiency with heavy armor. At 12th level the mounts devotion bonus on saving throws against enchantment spells and effects increases to +6. At 16th level, the mount no longer suffers any penalties for carrying a medium or heavy load. At 20th level, the mounts devotion bonus on saving throws against enchantment spells and effects increases to +8.
Thunderous Charge (Su)
At 5th level, a number of times per day equal to half her class level, an genie rider and her mount can make a charge that causes the ground to shake. This is a full-round action and works as a normal charge, except the genie rider’s mount can move only up to its move speed (not double its move speed, as in a normal charge). Creatures on the ground within a 5-foot radius of the charge’s ending point must succeed at a Reflex save (DC = 10 + half the mount's Hit Dice + the mount’s Strength modifier) or fall prone. For every two genie rider level above 5th the character has, she can exclude one creature from the effects of her thunderous charge, up to a maximum of seven creatures at 19th level. The genie rider and her mount resolve their attack at the end of her charge after determining which creatures fall prone. At 11th level, the radius of thunderous charge increases to 10 feet, and at 17th level it increases to 20 feet.
Symbol of Courage (Su)
At 6th level, when riding her mount, both the genie rider and her mount are immune to fear (magical or otherwise). At any time, each ally within 10 feet of her (including the genie rider and mount) gains a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against fear effects. This ability functions only while the genie rider is conscious, not if she is unconscious or dead.
Trampling Gallop (Ex)
At 9th level, an genie rider’s mount gains the trample universal monster ability, but only when commanded—this is a full-round action for the genie rider. Damage dealt by the trample is 1d6 (1d4 for a Medium mount) plus 1-1/2 times the mount's Strength modifier. Targets of a trample can make an attack of opportunity, but at a –4 penalty. If targets forgo an attack of opportunity, they can attempt to avoid the trampling creature and receive a Reflex save to take half damage (DC of 10 + 1/2 the mounts’s HD + the mount’s Strength modifier).
Demanding Challenge (Ex)
At 12th level, whenever a genie rider declares a challenge, her target must pay attention to the threat she poses. As long as the target is within the threatened area of the genie rider, it takes a –2 penalty to its AC from attacks made by anyone other than the genie rider.
Inspiring Leader (Su)
At 13th level, an genie rider can call out encouragement to her allies as a move action, bolstering their courage. Until the end of the genie rider's next turn allies within 60 feet receive a morale bonus equal to the genie rider’s Charisma bonus on attack and damage rolls with weapons for 1 round. An genie rider can use this ability three times per day, gaining an additional daily use for each class level after 13. This is a language-dependent, mind-affecting, sonic effect.
All Eyes on Me (Su)
At 15th level, three times per day as a swift action, an genie rider can call attention to herself. Each opponent within 30 feet must succeed at a Will save (DC = 10 + half the genie rider’s Hit Dice + the genie rider’s Charisma bonus) or be distracted by the display until the beginning of the genie rider’s next turn. Any creature that fails is considered to be flat-footed (unless they have uncanny dodge) and take a –2 penalty to AC against attacks from the genie rider’s allies. This is a mind-affecting, visual effect.
Trampling Trot (Ex)
At 18th level, an genie rider’s mount always has the trample universal monster ability. The trample deals 2d6 (1d8 for a Medium mount) plus 1-1/2 times its Strength modifier.
Table: Genie Rider
|1st||+1||+2||+0||+0||Camaraderie +1, challenge 1/day, genie mount|
|4th||+4||+4||+1||+1||Challenge 2/day, genie's blessing|
|5th||+5||+4||+1||+1||Thunderous charge (5 ft.)|
|6th||+6/+1||+5||+2||+2||Symbol of courage|
|7th||+7/+2||+5||+2||+2||Camaraderie +2, challenge 3/day|
|11th||+11/+6/+1||+7||+3||+3||Thunderous charge (10 ft.)|
|12th||+12/+7/+2||+8||+4||+4||Demanding challenge, genie's blessing|
|13th||+13/+8/+3||+8||+4||+4||Challenge 5/day, inspiring leader|
|15th||+15/+10/+5||+9||+5||+5||All eyes on me|
|16th||+16/+11/+6/+1||+10||+5||+5||Challenge 6/day, genie's blessing|
|17th||+17/+12/+7/+2||+10||+5||+5||Thunderous charge (20 ft.)|
Favored Class Bonuses
Instead of receiving an additional skill rank or hit point whenever they gain a level in a favored class, some races have the option of choosing from a number of other bonuses, depending upon their favored classes. The following options are available to the listed race, and unless otherwise stated, the bonus applies each time you select the listed favored class reward.
- Dwarf: Add +1/5 to the save DC of the genie rider's thunderous charge ability.
- Elf: Add +1 to the genie rider’s mount's land speed. Always round this down to the nearest increment of 5 ft.
- Gnome: The genie rider's mount gains 1/2 points of DR/magic.
- Half-Elf: For 1 round per day, when the genie rider is mounted, the genie rider's mount can squeeze without any penalties. These rounds need not be consecutive.
- Half-Orc: Add +1/2 to the genie rider’s CMB when making bull rush or overrun combat maneuvers against a challenged target.
- Halfling : Gain +1/5 dodge bonus to the genie rider's and her mounts AC while the genie rider is mounted.
- Human: Gain 1/3 additional daily use of the challenge ability.
- Anpur: Add 1/3 to the bonus of the anpur's desert runner racial trait.
- Avoodim: Add a +1/4 bonus on Intimidate checks and Ride checks.
- Catfolk: Gain 1/5 additional daily use of the cat's luck racial trait.
- Dragonblood: +1/5 on the bonus from the dragonblood's gatecrasher racial trait.
- Erkunae: Add 1/4 round to the duration of the genie rider's flank breaker ability.
- Gnoll: Add 1/2 to the genie rider's level to learn and use the thunderous charge ability.
- Goblin: Add a +1/2 bonus on Ride checks and to the genie rider's and her mount Stealth checks.
- Hobgoblin: Add +½ to the genie rider’s bonus to damage against targets of the cavalier’s challenge.
- Ifrit: Add +1/4 points of fire damage to the genie rider's and her mount's weapon and natural attacks. This stacks with the fire damage from effereti's blessing.
- Kobold: Add 1/4 to the genie rider's and her mounts natural AC bonus.
- Orc: Add 1/4 to the genie rider's level to learn trampling gallop and trampling trot abilities and add 1/4 to the save DC of the mount's trample.
- Oread: Add +1/5 to the genie rider's and her mount's saving throws against all mind-affecting and fear effects.
- Ratfolk: Add 1/4 to the bonus given by the genie rider's symbol of courage ability.
- Samsaran: Once per day, for 1 round, the genie rider's mount can gain a genie's blessing that it does not have. At level 20, the genie rider's mount instead becomes immune to acid, cold, and electricity damage for the same time.
- Shibaten: Increase the radius of the genie rider's thunderous charge ability by 1/2 ft. Always round this down to the closest increment of 5 ft.
- Sylph: Add +1 to the genie rider’s mount's base speed. Always round this down to the nearest increment of 5 ft.
- Tengu: Gain a +1/2 bonus on critical hit confirmation rolls made with a with any one melee weapon listed under the tengu’s swordtrained ability (maximum bonus of +5). When the bonus reaches +5, the tengu can continue to spend points, gaining a bonus on confirmation rolls with all melee weapon listed under the tengu’s swordtrained ability. This bonus does not stack with those gained through Critical Focus and similar effects.
- Undine: Gain 1/5 to the genie rider's and her mount's Reflex save modifier.
- Zendiqi: Add 1/5 to the bonus from the zendiqi's infidel destroyers ability.
|The text in this article is Open Game Content. It is covered by the Open Game License v1.0a, rather than the Hastur copyright. To distinguish it, these items will have this notice. If you see any page that contains OGL material and does not show this license statement, please contact one of the Hastur administrators. Please note that images used in article may have different copyright than the text.|
Section 15 Addendum
- System Reference Document © 2000, Wizards of the Coast, Inc.; Authors: Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams, based on material by E. Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson.
- Genie, Marid from the Tome of Horrors Complete © 2011, Necromancer Games, Inc., published and distributed by Frog God Games; Author: Scott Greene, based on original material by Gary Gygax.
- Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook © 2009, Paizo Inc.; Author: Jason Bulmahn, based on material by Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, and Skip Williams.
- Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Adventurer’s Guide © 2017, Paizo Inc.; Authors: Benjamin Bruck, John Compton, Crystal Frasier, Tim Hitchcock, Jenny Jarzabski, Isabelle Lee, Joe Pasini, Jessica Price, David Schwartz, and Josh Vogt.
- Lands of Porphyra © 2015, Purple Duck Games; Authors: Ken Austin, Thomas Baumbach, Carl Cramér, Daniel Denehy, Perry Fehr, Mark Gedak, August Hahn, Noble Hays, John Hazen, Sam Hing, Sean Holland, N. Jolly, Christopher Kaiser, James H. Lewis, Chris Longhurst, Liz Mackie, Josh McCrowell, Christopher Mennell, Scott Messer, Angel “ARMR” Miranda, Julian Neale, Daniel M. Perez, David Pryzbyla, Marc Radle, David N. Ross, Treyson Sanders, Justin Sluder, Todd Stewart, Stefen Styrsky, Mike Welham, Jeremy Whelan, Patricia Willenborg.